cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finding info on duplication jobs

jwmcf1
Level 4

NBU 7.0

I have a set of 10 duplication jobs that run at 12AM every night.  Problem is I can't tell what these jobs are duplicating.  There is nothing in the policy info and there is nothing in the schedule info when I click on any of the job logs.  I can tell from the file list what jobs these are associated with, but due to the fact that there is no policy info I don't know which exact ones are which.  Also, multiple copies is NOT selected under any of the job policy schedules that I can see which I would think means there should be no duplication jobs running at all.

My question is this:

How can one find out what jobs these duplicates are tied to and where can I find the schedule of the duplicates so I can modify and/or turn them off?  Also, duplication is set up through using multiple copies correct?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Yes, basically you're correct. DSU's are primarily used when you want to dump a lot of backups to disk, this can be because they're small jobs (like oracle/sql log backups), or if they're LAN based backups that might run slow. Traditionally this is why we started using disk, because the small and slow running jobs messed up the tape drives with the constant stopping-starting, and the slow speeds across the lan meant the compression you got sucked (low speed, low compression, because the tape drive then has to PAD by inserting empty space on the tape while waiting for data).

These days DSU are also used because disk is cheaper than tape. Some people prefer to keep daily's only on disk, and keep the monthly/weekly backups on tape, thereby saving on media.

DSU also do post processing, which means you just want to get the backup done, and worry about getting it on tape later.

Duplicate copies is real time, and gives you 2 copies on 2 locations. Which could in fact be in 2 different data centers. Should you have the money for dual hardware and big enough bandwidth.

Thats how i see it :)

Cheers

Riaan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Duplication jobs are initiated by one of the following methods. * Disk Stagong Storage Unit(DSSU) * Storage Lifecycle Policy(SLP) * script with some commands(bpduplicate,...) In general, scedule of SLP duplication can not be specified, I guess DSSUs are configured on your env. Check attribute of your storage units.

RiaanBadenhorst

Vault can be dulpicating images for you as well. Check the Vault configuration, it will have profiles if its configured. If it is, there would need to be a vault policy configured somewhere in your policy list that executes the vaultrun.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That remind me.

RiaanBadenhorst

:)

jwmcf1
Level 4

I have checked the suggestions and this is what has been found:

- I see nothing referencing DSSU under storage unit attributes.

- There are no SLP's configured.

- I have no idea where to check for scripts other than windows task scheduler (there are no scheduled scripts here).  That is the only place I know to check.

-  I see know information at all regarding vault manager, vault policies, or anything else related to vault in the policies of the backup policies that are running.

Isn't there supposed to be a vault management portion under the NetBackup Admin Console??  I see in the Vault Operators Guide the command:

vltopmenu

Is the only way to configure Vault settings through the command line?  I think I must be missing something here.

thanks

RiaanBadenhorst

If its not there in the GUI its not licensed. Or the option is not installed if its UNIX.

You'll have to go dig in the logs to see if you can find any clues around the time when your DUPs kick off.

jwmcf1
Level 4

Ok, thanks to your suggestion, I went digging through the logs and sure enough I found a DSSU policy pointing to an Oracle backup job.  Looked at the storage unit that the log pointed to and sure enough staging was checked enabled.

So my question now are (please bear with me, im really trying to soak this all in :)

1.  What is the difference between staging and multiple copies?  Maybe I have it right here, but maybe you can correct or add?

This is what I am understanding the difference as:

*Staging applies to disk based backups and is enabled and scheduled to a disk storage unit.  With staging ALL jobs that use the DSU will use the staging settings set to that DSU and therefore in the case like mine, where staging is turned on the used DSU, will result in duplication jobs being run. 

*Multiple copies differ as they are set and configured to the actuall backup policy (set through scheduling) regardless of whether they are disk based or tape based.  Also, (and I assume this is the main difference) multiple copies is really primarily used for/with TAPE based backups as Staging is the preferred method for disk based duplication.

Any ellaboration/clarifications/corrections of my thoughts would be helpful!

thanks folks

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Yes, basically you're correct. DSU's are primarily used when you want to dump a lot of backups to disk, this can be because they're small jobs (like oracle/sql log backups), or if they're LAN based backups that might run slow. Traditionally this is why we started using disk, because the small and slow running jobs messed up the tape drives with the constant stopping-starting, and the slow speeds across the lan meant the compression you got sucked (low speed, low compression, because the tape drive then has to PAD by inserting empty space on the tape while waiting for data).

These days DSU are also used because disk is cheaper than tape. Some people prefer to keep daily's only on disk, and keep the monthly/weekly backups on tape, thereby saving on media.

DSU also do post processing, which means you just want to get the backup done, and worry about getting it on tape later.

Duplicate copies is real time, and gives you 2 copies on 2 locations. Which could in fact be in 2 different data centers. Should you have the money for dual hardware and big enough bandwidth.

Thats how i see it :)

Cheers

Riaan

jwmcf1
Level 4

Thank you very much for the help! Case closed!