cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

force client to use one mm server, NBU 7.6

txbound2015
Level 2

Hello,

I have a Netbacup server 7.6 environment with 1 master and 6 media servers. I would like to pin a client to only use one media server for every backup. I dont want to create a SLP with only that Media server as a storage unit. I am thinking that using the "Required Interface" in my bp.conf file will be what I want. Does anyone have experience using the Required interface or Preferred Network string in the bp.conf to pin a client to use a particular media server?

I found this technote but would like to understand better from people who have actually set this up.

Thank you

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135376

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot have both, you want to reduce your management by adding all media servers in one SLP (storage unit group) but you want to micro manage where the client writes. Can't do it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

required_interface is for using a certain nic, like one on a backup only network. 

Really, that media server has to desitguish itself with a certain storage unit or stoage units in a storage unit group.

RiaanBadenhorst

You cannot have both, you want to reduce your management by adding all media servers in one SLP (storage unit group) but you want to micro manage where the client writes. Can't do it.

Marianne
Level 6

I agree - this cannot be done with Storage Unit Groups.

The only way you can link a client to media server is with specific STU.