cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

from where i can download the trial version of netbackup and main difference with backup exec.

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

i am not able to find the trial verstion of netbackup,can any one help me to find out the link to download ,Is netbackup better then backupexec.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE media server can't be installed on a UNIX server, only limited to windows. NBU master/media servers can be installed on Solaris also along with windows servers.

Is NBU better than BE?

Definately, if you have sufficient resources to use it efficiently. An environment with around 10-20 servers and a tape library with 2 drives, you can't make use of NBU features to a great extent. BE is best suited for that kind.

You need a serial number to download NBU from fileconnect. (Even for trial version).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

netbackup is widely available for free download via public. you need to contact symantec sales representative for this.

backup exec can be downloaded as an evaluation from www.backupexec.com

netbackup is basically for enterprise which has heterogeneous environment... where in backup exec is for SMB

roh234
Level 5
Partner Accredited

download link is not avilable on symantec website

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Contact the local sales office. They shoud be able to provide you access to Fileconnect and trial license information.

https://fileconnect.symantec.com/LangSelection.jsp

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=backupexec-family

on right corner.. click on trial backup exec link...

it will ask you for registration.

backupexec comes with 60days evaluation with all agents enabled including 5 desktop and laptop backup otion...

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec is specifically developed for Windows Servers and clients, it does support Unix but

not to great extent.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE media server can't be installed on a UNIX server, only limited to windows. NBU master/media servers can be installed on Solaris also along with windows servers.

Is NBU better than BE?

Definately, if you have sufficient resources to use it efficiently. An environment with around 10-20 servers and a tape library with 2 drives, you can't make use of NBU features to a great extent. BE is best suited for that kind.

You need a serial number to download NBU from fileconnect. (Even for trial version).

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

you can't make use of NBU features to a great extent. BE is best suited for that kind.

It should be vice versa isn't it Kiran :)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I think you meant "netbackup is NOT widely available for free download ...."?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It should be vice versa isn't it Kiran :)

No, with a small number of servers to backup and with a limited number of resourecs (seconadary storage devices) no need to go for NBU. Because you cannot fully utilize NBU features. Whereas BE is designed to work with such a kind of environment. 

So, which backup software is better to use really depends upon what kind of environment you have and what are your requirements.

But ingeneral i can say NBU is far better than BE.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Kiran was using the example of 10-20 media servers sharing 2 tape drives. I agree with his statement.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

oops i mistaken.. in hurry.. thanx marriane

caryminait003
Level 1

It took me a whole day to find the link to trial/evaluation version Veritas  NTBackup 8.1 and finally here is the link for you guys. I know this thread is from 2012 but still replying because I don't want to waste his whole day like me ti just find the downloading link. :p

Link - https://www.veritas.com/trial/en/us/netbackup-8-1