cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you restore an Exchange 2010 mailbox?

manatee
Level 6

hi. we have NBU 7.5.0.5 and Exchange 2010. i have already done a test restore of deleted mails successfully. but having problems on how to do a mailbox restore. i watched this video http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/exchange-2010-sp2-grt-netbackup-75 but it only talks of restoring deleted mails.

how does one restore a mailbox then? from what i've gathered across the web, the whole database must be restored first (thereby requiring the same amount of space for the restore partition), create a restore database, and then i'm lost there. after creating and restoring a restore database, how will the deleted mailbox be made to reappear in the production server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Restore back to same mailbox or different mailbox?

HOWTO is covered in NBU for Exchange Admin Guide.

Start reading on page 172 under this topic: About restoring individual Exchange mailbox and public folder items 

Requirements and step-by-step instructions carries on until +- page 180.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Just had a quick look on the forum & confirmed in the Admin Guide (do not use Exchange personally):

Prerequisites and operational notes for restoring Exchange individual
mailboxes, mailbox folders, public folders, or messages

Review the following prerequisites before you restore individual mailboxes,
mailbox folders, public folders, or messages:
■ The destination mailbox must exist to successfully restore a mailbox.

So create it first then restore....

Marianne
Level 6

Restore back to same mailbox or different mailbox?

HOWTO is covered in NBU for Exchange Admin Guide.

Start reading on page 172 under this topic: About restoring individual Exchange mailbox and public folder items 

Requirements and step-by-step instructions carries on until +- page 180.

Hope this helps.

manatee
Level 6

it worked! :)

i don't know where i found that complex mailbox restore procedure but doing it using BAR gui is much better. however i was only able to restore to original location. when i try to restore to a non-existing folder inside the "Inbox", i get error 5.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

■ The destination mailbox must exist to successfully restore a mailbox.      ?????

manatee
Level 6

to make it clear for anyone not experienced yet, the destination mailbox was recreated prior to the restore that's why the mailbox restore was successful.

the problem (error 5) was the destination "folder" within the existing destination mailbox wasn't.

i was thinking of a scenario where i want the process to restore to a subfolder (named Restored) of "Inbox" so it'd be easier for the user to see where the restored emails went. :)

Marianne
Level 6
Good idea to first create the destination folder and the restore to it.