cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to add a media

frances0827
Level 3
Hi to all,

Im a newbie on autoloader and would like to seek help on adding a new media.

We have an Autoloader with 16 slots and medias. Due to the 3 months retention on my monthly backups assigned to 9 tapes, all the 7 medias left (used for daily inc and weekly full)  gets full. Now, what i wanted is to be able remove/eject a media which is already full and replace it with a new media. And since its a new media, it should be read as an available media for backup. Is this possible???

I tried replacing a full media with a new meida, then do an inventory, but my NBU doesnt recognize the newly placed tape as new.

inputs please..... 

9 REPLIES 9

Robert_Minser
Level 4
Are you using barcoded media?
If not, I highly reccomend you start using barcoded. It makes adding and changing media faster and easier. 
If so.
Your new tape will usually go into the NetBackup media pool.
If you are using media pools for your backups you should be able to right click on the tape and select change and put the media into the desired pool.  

frances0827
Level 3
thank you for that reply....

im not using a barcode reader as of the moment but my autoloader has it. i will explore using the reader in the future.

now, back to my question, i understand that a media goes to a media pool. but, what im trying to say it that... lets say i have a media with media ID  A00001 in slot 1 that is full or no longer avail for backup. What i wanted is to be able to eject the media A00001 from slot 1, then place a new media in slot 1 and that new media be recognized as a new MEDIA avail for backup, like a new media ID will be given to the newly inserted tape so the system can recognized it as a different media from the previous media placed in the same slot.

is this possible? inputs pls......

zippy
Level 6
what is the model of the autoloader?

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
You really do not want any media added to be new automatically.  For example, you insert a tape to perform a restore, if you set things up the way you are describing, then that tape would become scratch immediately.  That is why it is best to have the tape go into the NetBackup pool and then move it from there.

Now, what we do, when we receive a shipment of new tapes, I insert them into our autoloader and then moved them to our Scratch pool.  I then ejected the tapes and put them into our normal rotation.  Even though it is more work up front, whenever the operator inserts a tape, NetBackup will by default put a tape into the NetBackup pool.  However, since I had previously said this was a scratch, it goes into the Scratch pool and is immediately available for use.

Message Edited by Ron Cohn on 03-24-2008 03:53 PM

Stumpr2
Level 6
All new media is automatically placed into the NetBackup pool by default. You have to create barcode rules to override this. I always have new tapes placed into the scratch pool.

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

Stumpr wrote:
All new media is automatically placed into the NetBackup pool by default. You have to create barcode rules to override this. I always have new tapes placed into the scratch pool.

Bob,

For my information, how do you define barcode rules to differentiate between a new tape and one from an outside vendor who follows your tape number scheme?

Stumpr2
Level 6
I don't know

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
hi

1. Download a Font Barcode
2. Print the tags who fit in to your tapes
3. remove the medias from netbackup (delete them)
4. create that proper pools
5. create the barcode rules (you cannot create barcode rules if you dont have barcodes on your tapes ;) )
6. add the tapes back to your autoloader
7. inventory
8. check under the pools if your barcodes where properly assigned

this will make your life easier, dont try to use it without the bar codes, will be a pain and is hard for tape ops to manage the tapes, also if you try to send them out to a Vault has Iron Mountain, they will reject the medias because are not coded, trust me this is the best way.

regards

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
if you don't want to print your own barcodes you can order them from your tape vendor.