cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to move/import backup images from master server to another

Sisso
Level 5

Hello,

We are running two environments of Symantec Netbackup 7.5.0.6 on windows server 2008 R2 SP1.
Each environment is contained on different master and medias servers, but they have a network connection shared between them.
Sometimes, I need to restore from a certain enviroment to the other one. In order to perform this request I usually used to create a new disk pool on the destination enviroment that is actually the same disk on the source enviroment. Then, I used to copy the following directory from the source enviroment :
installation_path\veritas\netbackup\db\images\client_name
that includes information of the backup.
To the destination evniroment, also the same path:
installation_path\veritas\netbackup\images\source_client_name.
eventually, after finishing all these steps I tried to look for the images on the catalog on the destination master server and I could see the source_client_images and start the restore.
Unfortunatly, I tried to do this again but its not working me anymore.
Please advise.
Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee

If the backup was done on tapes you can connect the tape library to the new master server and then run phase1 and phase2 import on the media in the new master server and then run the restore.

If the data is on disk you can create a similar disk storage unit in the new environment and move the data files not just the headers (<install_path\Netbackup\db\images\client\...)

You can search the image in the catalog and get the backupid. Once you have the backupid you can search for the image files in the location where the disk storage unit points and then copy these files to the new environment and then run the phase 1 and phase 2 import on these images.

To start the 1st phase of import in the new environment

Catalog > Select Actions > Initiate Import

Once phase 1 is completed you can use select the image in the catalog and run phase 2 by right clicking it and selecting import.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43834

Once the image is imported successfully you can restore the data from this master server.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The image copy is not working anymore because the header files were moved into EMM database as from NBU 7.5.

The new method for 'Recovery without Import' is documented in this TN:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH28722

Sisso
Level 5

Marianne,

First, thank you for advising.

Secondly, I saw the following condition in the PDF pointed to from the TECH you suggested:

"The process can only be used for backups written to tape or BasicDisk storage "

We work in our eviroment with OpenStorage Disk. So the images that we need to move are located on an OpenStorage Disk. Is there any way to perform this on an OpenStorage Disk?

Marianne
Level 6

The whole idea with Recovery Without Import is to move the backup images physically (disk or tape) along with the catalog entries.

How do you intend getting the OST backup images to the second master?

Sisso
Level 5

Marianne,

The same OST controller is connected both eviroments, so I will just create a storage server on the destination master and create disk pool with the same disk that connected to the source master. Thus, I will have an access to the same disks from both enviroments.

I hope this explanation is clear.

Please advise.

Marianne
Level 6

So - How have you been restoring OST images before 7.5?
I cannot see how you can config the same Appliance to 2 different NBU domains at the same time?

The way I see it is that you need all backups to physically exist at DR/remote site in order to restore.

Please check HCL for AIR support for your OST Appliance.
Best will be to duplicate/replicate images between sites with AIR.

Sisso
Level 5

We didnt have this OST appliance before 7.5, so there was no any problem.

Unfortunately, this OST appliance is not supported AIR replication so we can't use it.

About config the appliance to 2 different NBU domains at the same time. This is possible because thie appliance connected to cisco switch and all the NBU server from the both NBU domains are connected to this private VLAN and see the same storage. Usually we divides the backups from the 2 NBU enviroments by creating different "Stores" in the aplliance that seperate that backups.

In our case, I add a specific "Store" to the destination NBU domain by creating a disk pool that connected to the same disk in the source NBU domain. Thus both NBU domain have the same disk pool.

Marianne
Level 6

Different disk pools/Stores for different domains are supported.

I cannot see how you can config same disk pool/Store to 2 different NBU domains simultaneously.
If source master server fails and you are in DR situation, you may be able to do this.
Best is to have separate OST appliances and replicate to remote site for DR purposes.
A combination of configuring replicated disk pool at remote site with nbcatsync (to update Media Id of disk pool in NBU) may work...

So, to get back to your original question - you can config tape and basic disk with Recovery Without Import method if backup images on tape or disk is made available to remote master server.

jim_dalton
Level 6

Sounds like the same storage is visible to both environment like you can map a LUN ...thats my guess based on lun mappings on a cluster for example.

However what netbackup does when you present it with this "second hand" storage is something I'd investigate thoroughly before doing it. I could quite envisage it declaring it as having data and wiping it for its own purposes.

Jim

Marianne
Level 6

OST is more than mapping a LUN to a media server... In fact there is no 'mapping'/mounting, etc with OST.

I have managed to do the following for a DataDomain customer before AIR was supported (just don't ask me for more details - it was too long ago... just had to figure things out as we went along...):

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-can-i-get-remote-nbu-env-ostdatadomain-see-duplic...

For above method, you need 2 separate OST appliances - one at each site.

Sisso
Level 5

Marianne,

I think that I didn't explain me very well.

The two NBU domains we have are not production and DR, there is no any connection between them.

The only connection between them is when sometimes I need to restore  server that backup to one NBU  domain to the other NBU domain.

Thus, the reason I need to move image backups between the two NBU domains is only  disposable.

Marianne
Level 6

I have in all honesty lost interest in this discussion as it seems that we keep on misunderstanding one another.

I perfectly 'get it' that you have 2 separate production environments.

Have you asked your OST vendor if this is supported? And Symantec?

In our case, I add a specific "Store" to the destination NBU domain by creating a disk pool that connected to the same disk in the source NBU domain. Thus both NBU domain have the same disk pool.

Which Master server will have control of image maintenance and expiration?

It MAY be possible to import the images on the destination Master, but the moment you do that, both masters will believe that they have exclusive control of the images.

I cannot imagine how this will work...

You may want to consider replacing your OST disk with something else that supports AIR if you require this functionality.

Sisso
Level 5

We should upgrade the controller version that will support AIR, so all this problem will be solve soon.

Thank you for advise.