cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import phase one information retention

Dimitris_Peppas
Level 4
Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea how long the information from the Phase 1 import is kept, before it's discarded or imported?

I need to import about 700-1000 tapes (all together in a phase 1 batch, and then select all required backups for Phase 2) but I ma worried that until I finish the Phase 1, things will be discarded. I cannot seem to find any info in the manuals.

BR,
JP
8 REPLIES 8

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi JP,

You asked a good question, esp with that many tapes to import.

The answer to your question is 1 week, although you can change the expirey to longer with the bpexpdate command.

Martin

Dimitris_Peppas
Level 4
 So bpexpdate can be applied on phase 1 imported images? I'll give it a try and get back to you, thanks.

David_McMullin
Level 6
On unix -
touch this file, to prevent expirations globally, as well...

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/NOexpire

Dimitris_Peppas
Level 4
 Yes, I know about the NoExpire file, but I would prefer to avoid these kind of solutions. But thanks for your input.

Will_Restore
Level 6

The expiration date for the imported items is the current date plus the retention period. For example, if a backup is imported on November 14, 2007 and its retention period is one week, the new expiration date is November 21, 2007.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Bill makes a good point.

Once phase 2 is complete the expiration is the retention level of the backup on the current system.

So, if you have a tape (images with retention level = 14) which on the original server = 1 year, but import on a different server where the retention level 14 = 1 day, then the new imports will expire after 1 day.

Martin

Bill_Burditzman
Level 3
\netbackup\bin\admincmd\bpexpdate -m <mediaID> -d 1/1/20next year -h <media server that wrote the backup>

Let me see, 1000 tapes, at up to 8 hours per tape for the phase 2 part of the show...if you can find ALL fragments of the backup present-
Is 333 DAYS of non stop tape read time acceptable for this project?  You should call Symantec sales, engage consulting services and  inquire about merging multiple master databases.

Dimitris_Peppas
Level 4
 Actually, I have 12 tape drives available for the import, so that number is divided by 12 => ~ 1 month.

Anyhow, I will suggest to import only the crucial information, that was backed up with retentions longer that 2-3 months (anything else would have expired anyway)