cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loss of part of the catalog

guilhemlflo
Level 4

Hi,

I get a master NBU server. I noticed that the catalog has a huge hole.

Some backups should have a retention of two years or infinity but are not present on the catalog but they are present on tape. I was able to re-import some data by rereading the tapes.

There are missing months of backups that should have been present. My client asks me if we can know what happened, when the catalogue was deleted,....

Do you have any ideas on how to get this information?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It all depends on when this happened and if log folders have been created.

The default 'days to keep logs' is 28 days.

Logs to check on the master is admin and bpdbm for expiration.

For policy/schedule change, nbauditreport may help, but I have no idea how long the audit log is kept.

If record is kept of tapes being written every day (output of Tapes Written report), you will have proof of media-id's being used for each day's backups along with retention level. 
If you know the date for which backups are missing, you can validate with 'Images on Media' for media id's used on these dates.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
One of two things come to mind:
Someone has manually changed schedule retentions.
Someone has manually expired tapes.

I have seen admins/operators expiring tapes when there were insufficient blank tapes for backups without understanding the consequences.

thanks for the answers

do you know if we can find any log to prove that?

Marianne
Level 6

It all depends on when this happened and if log folders have been created.

The default 'days to keep logs' is 28 days.

Logs to check on the master is admin and bpdbm for expiration.

For policy/schedule change, nbauditreport may help, but I have no idea how long the audit log is kept.

If record is kept of tapes being written every day (output of Tapes Written report), you will have proof of media-id's being used for each day's backups along with retention level. 
If you know the date for which backups are missing, you can validate with 'Images on Media' for media id's used on these dates.

thanks you !

i try this so .