Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost NBDB database files

Dtrace
Level 3
Accredited

Hi Veritas Guys,

I lost all catalog database file (nbdb.log, nbdb.db, index_nbdb.db, ....). I have create new file but can't restore my volume and device configuration.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284299.htm

Is there any way to recover them in case of catalog backup policy doesn't exist?

I want to use this article for adding new device, but I also lost all /usr/openv/volmgr directory.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/234959.htm

Why my /usr/openv/volmgr is not here? How can I recover it? re'install EMM server? If yes, how can I do it?
Is there other methode to recover my old EMM configuration?

Your help will be very appreciated!!

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The TechNote that you quoted to do 'tpconfig -noverify' is for creating dummy devices in NBU version 3.4.
You cannot create devices because the EMM database is 'broken'. You say you have followed TN 284299 to recreate EMM databases. The status 77 says that there's still a problem.

You initially said that you have lost entire /usr/openv/volmgr directory.
You also said that you have lost all nbdb files. These EMM database files exist in /usr/openv/db/data.
It seems that you have lost more than just these two folders.

My initial recommendation still stands - copy away /usr/openv/netbackup/db folder (if intact) and reinstall NetBackup from scratch. There is no point in trying to salvage a completely broken installation. You don't have a catalog backup to try and recover either.

The installation process will automatically create new EMM database. You will then be able to use the device wizard to add new devices. You could have been up and running by now.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6

If you lost entire /usr/openv/volmgr directory, you will need to reinstall NetBackup from scratch. All the media manager commands live under volmgr/bin.
EMM database lives in /usr/openv/db/data
Anything left in /usr/openv/netbackup/db? If so, copy/rename this before reinstalling NBU.

If you do not have a catalog backup, your only solution is to recreate devices, remove existing tapes from library and insert new ones to prevent media from being overwritten. Do backups to new tapes.
Create a new pool for the old tapes - something like IMPORT and add old tapes to this pool. Start importing tapes in this pool. If your images folder is intact, you will need a phase 1 import only.

Dtrace
Level 3
Accredited

Thank a lot Marianne,

Strongly, I have restore old /usr/openv/volmgr directory from somewhere...

Now I will add new tape device and configure new pool.

But, I don't understand clearly what you mean by "create new pool for old tapes"?? You I can use old tape data if i lost my old catalog??

Thank again.

Marianne
Level 6
Your old tapes contain valid backup images. You need to ensure that they do not get overwritten.

If you recreate devices and pool and then inventory the robot, all the tapes will be in unassigned state and will be overwritten by new backups if the are in Scratch or a pool used for backups. You will have to import them one-by-one. Best to create a separate pool for all existing tapes in the robot and add these tapes into the new pool to prevent them from being overwritten.

If images are intact, you will be able to find out which tapes contain backups and only do phase 1 import to recreate the EMM database info. Use bpimagelist to extract a list media-id's per media server. Use a date with -d switch to ensure that the longest possible retention period will be picked up:

bpimagelist -d 01/01/2000 -e 06/25/2010 -media -idonly -server <media-server-name>

Dtrace
Level 3
Accredited
Right, I see.

When I will finish install and configure drive and pool, I will come back if any problem.

For, now I have to add new device. I use this technote http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/234959.htm

Thank you Marianne for your help.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think you should know about this article as well:

DOCUMENTATION: How to create a blank NetBackup NBDB database for the recovery of the NetBackup NBD...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/284299.htm

Dtrace
Level 3
Accredited

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks, I've already use this article. It's helpful.

For  now I'm configuring new storage device.

My tpconfig cmd fail with this error code:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -noverify
EMM interface initialization failed, status = 77

I dont know why and how resolv this issue. I try to use this doc:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304561.htm

but dont anderstand the procedure.

Please help!

Marianne
Level 6

Why are you trying to create dummy devices? The TechNote that you are following is to create dummy devices.
Since you do not have a catalog backup, use the device config wizard from the GUI to scan and configure new devices.

Dtrace
Level 3
Accredited

I use this procedure for creating a true device, not a dummy device. But never work because of error 77.

I will use GUI and keep you on.

Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6
The TechNote that you quoted to do 'tpconfig -noverify' is for creating dummy devices in NBU version 3.4.
You cannot create devices because the EMM database is 'broken'. You say you have followed TN 284299 to recreate EMM databases. The status 77 says that there's still a problem.

You initially said that you have lost entire /usr/openv/volmgr directory.
You also said that you have lost all nbdb files. These EMM database files exist in /usr/openv/db/data.
It seems that you have lost more than just these two folders.

My initial recommendation still stands - copy away /usr/openv/netbackup/db folder (if intact) and reinstall NetBackup from scratch. There is no point in trying to salvage a completely broken installation. You don't have a catalog backup to try and recover either.

The installation process will automatically create new EMM database. You will then be able to use the device wizard to add new devices. You could have been up and running by now.

Dtrace
Level 3
Accredited

Thank Marianne,

I thank I will do like this. But I have a question:

Can we use netbackup 6.5 install on windows for backing up Unix file systems and oracle on unix server?

Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6
Yes, the only requirement is TCP/IP connectivity using hostnames (forward & reverse lookup). 
Best to add hosts entries on backup server for the Unix clients and also on clients for the backup server.