cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media id generation

Arun_VC
Level 4

Does setting new media id rule and running inventory set the media id to new as well as old tape added. And also does setting media id to old tape remove the content in it ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Do you have media sharing enabled?

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Arun_VC
Level 4

one more thing i forgot to mention. Here we dont use a barcode on the tape. Instead we label the tape..

Problem is that i add a new media server and fired backup to an existing tape in a pool, the backup fails with 96 error. But when i add a new tape to the same pool and fire backup the backup fire and completes successfully..

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 96 in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 6.0

Article:TECH43229  |  Created: 2005-01-17  |  Updated: 2010-01-17  | 

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH43229

STATUS CODE 96: Unable to use media for backups in a robotic library after a successful upgrade to NetBackup 6.0, due to media not expiring properly. The bpexpdate command fails with "Requested media id was not found in the EMM database".

Article:TECH44800  |  Created: 2007-01-25  |  Updated: 2007-01-25  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44800

Status 96 : Error unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available (96) even when tapes are available in scratch pool.

Article:TECH168251  |  Created: 2011-08-26  |  Updated: 2011-10-24  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH168251

STATUS CODE: 96 "Unable to allocate new media for backup" error message occurs even when the appropriate tapes are available in the scratch pool. A status 90 error is also seen in the bptm log of the media server.

Article:TECH39299  |  Created: 2005-01-15  |  Updated: 2010-01-08  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH39299

Arun_VC
Level 4

I am not able to find a solution in the docs provided.

I have 3 sql servers configured as 3 media servers.

i have a pool in which there a 2 medias and this pool is asigned to 3 media servers

When i fire backup from the 1st sql media server, it takes the 1st tape and backup is successful..

When i fire backup from the 2nd sql media server, it takes the 2st tape and backup is successful.

but when i fire the 3rd sql media server the backup fails with 96 error saying unable to allocate media.storage unit has none

but when i change the settings and point to another media server the backup takes a media and fires a backup and its successful...

I have deleted and reconfigured the storage units aslo. but no success...

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please show us what is different about 3rd media server.

Show us output of the following commands:

bpstulist -U 
(indicate which one is STU 3)

available_media

Arun_VC
Level 4

Infact the Tape library is same with 1 drive (hp msl 2024) which is shared across 3 media servers.

My problem is that, the newly added media server is not able to find media in the pool which is already used my a media server. suppose if i delete all the images( bpexpdate) in the media or add a fresh media then the media server is able to fire the backup to the tape.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Do you have media sharing enabled?

Arun_VC
Level 4

SSO is what u r taking about right.. I do have 

Arun_VC
Level 4

In master server properties also i have enabled unrestricted media sharing for all media servers..

and in policy also i have selected media owner as any. 

Do i need to create a server group and make server group type as media sharing and add all media server in that group.

If suppose i have 1 media(tape) and 3 media servers. all 3 are able to access the media(tape). But suppose i add one more media server (4th) this one is not able to access the tape. It quits backup saying no media avaliable  storage unit has none avaliable error 96.

Thanks

AVC

Marianne
Level 6
Please show us output of commands I have requested above as well as policy that is failing: bppllist (policy-name) -U

Arun_VC
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

bppllist output attached.

Marianne
Level 6

Giving us bppllist output without all the other output that we requested, we cannot see what is different about the 3rd media server.

I have asked for output of: 

• bpstulist -U
    (indicate which one is STU 3)
  • available_media

Please supply output if you are still experiencing issues.

Arun_VC
Level 4

A big sorry.... for the delay..

After rebooting the master server all are working fine.... now all the media servers are able to write to the media..

Arun_VC
Level 4

Thanks once again for all your comments and inputs.

Marianne
Level 6

I have never seen that a master server reboot solved status 96. 
Probably simply enough media after last image cleanup...

I have not been able to figure out how this discussion is related to Media Id Generation? 

Arun_VC
Level 4

Marianne,

The problem was that the existing media servers were able to write to the exixting media in a pool, But a new media server added was not able to write to the same pool and was giving error 96, even after setting    " enable unrestricted media sharing for all media servers". 

I had done all seeting, but was not able to solve it.

So i had a reboot of the master server. Probably that reboot fixed the issue  of setting the variable "enable unrestricted media sharing for all media servers"...

Possible
Level 6
Accredited Certified

3rd media server's bptm and bpbrm logs could have guided us in more better way!