cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nbinst blank error on upgrading 6.0 client

Denda
Level 5
Hi All -

I am rec'g a nbinst blank error window when trying to upgrade a 6.0mp5 client with the 6.5.2 client via install.  I have seen this error before, years ago and I can not remember what needs to be done.  For some reason I am thinking that a specific file needs to be deleted, but I can not remember exactly what file.  Any advice sure would be helpful.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Thought I would add the following from the install log...

05-13-2009,09:37:17 : Starting Setup
05-13-2009,09:37:17 : Performing installation on host: Server1
05-13-2009,09:37:17 : Checking for 32-bit processor on a 64-bit system.

Does this mean that it is finding a 64bit system?  I am running.. W3K R2 sp2 w/Intel Xeon CPU -> ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_15_MODEL_6\_0 . 

5 REPLIES 5

alazanowski
Level 5
are you performing a local install or a remote install? I've had better luck removing 6.0mp5 before upgrading. I also recommend not using 6.5.2 but going with 6.5.3 and applying the 6.5.3.1 patch- as alot of issues existed in 6.5.2 for us.

Denda
Level 5
Performing the install via Term Services (remote).  Worked for every other server I have done this on w/o uninstalling the previous client, however if I do not get any other responses, I will have to do that. 

Yes, 6.5.3 is the way to go however I want to upgrade to 6.5.2 since I want to make sure that LiveUpdate works properly from the master server, we are currently on 6.5.3.1.  Once the manual upgrade is done, I will set off the LiveUpdate policy and make sure everything works correctly.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
6.5.2 had some issues which required the only release I have ever seen that has the letter.
So you should do 6.5.2a at least.  6.5.3.1 can come latter.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Denda,

We do have a TechNote that seems to describe your situation.  Perhaps it's a Windows permissions issue?  Follow the instructions listed and let us know if that helps!

Client install fails with message box nbinst 
 http://support.veritas.com/docs/315715

Denda
Level 5
CRZ -> That did it!  Thank you so much for your help.  I searched and searched on just the nbinst word and found nothing that coincided with what I was seeing.  Go figure.  Thank you again, have a great day.