cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup unable to resolve hostname

NiklasV
Level 4

i got Netbackup 7.5 ( This will get newer with the new server )

Win 2003 Server ( we will get a new shortly )

We havent done any changes, everything was going well until Last week we noticed that when we start netbackup we get stopped by
"netbackup unable to resolve hostname"

Saw some other threads such as
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH27430.html
http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-master-server-configuration-lost

Things
i have tried:

File > Change server i can choose Igsestbup01 or igsestbup01.DOM.OAD.LCL and we have always used the latter one, if i choose the DOM.OAD we cant even boot the netbackup GUI (netbackup unable to resolve hostname)
while igsestbup01 lets up open the application but we get multiple errors such as:

Unable to read configuration: Cannot connect on Socket (25)

Unable to connect to enterprise madia manager server:. The EMM server failed to process the request (78)

Unable to obtain the Device list from the Enterprise Media Manager server. Unable to connect to the EMM server (77)

bpclntcmd -self

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>bpclntcmd -self
gethostname() returned: igsest1bup01
host igsest1bup01: igsest1bup01.iuser.iroot.adidom.com at 172.23.113.8
aliases:     igsest1bup01.iuser.iroot.adidom.com     igsest1bup01     172.23.113
getfqdn(igsest1bup01) returned: igsest1bup01.iuser.iroot.adidom.com

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>bpgetconfig -M igsest1bup01 server_entrie
s.txt
Could not print the server_entries.txt item.
Basically doesn't work am i doing anything wrong?

Looked into regedt32

and saw that igsestbup01.DOM.OAD.LCL is listed on Server, Config, Client_name, browser

not sure how to continue now and decided to turn to this amazing board once more.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, it seems something has changed as far as DNS config for the master server is concerned.

From what I can see, when NBU was installed the master server resolved own hostname as igsestbup01.DOM.OAD.LCL
Can we assume that EMMserver in the registry is the same?

And now the server no longer resolves to that FQDN but to the names that can be seen in bpclntcmd command:
bpclntcmd -self
aliases:     igsest1bup01.iuser.iroot.adidom.com     igsest1bup01     172.23.113

Can you change TCP/DNS settings on the server to match the original domain name?

Something that MAY work is to add aliases in the server's hosts file:

172.23.113.8 igsest1bup01   igsestbup01.DOM.OAD.LCL   igsest1bup01.iuser.iroot.adidom.com

Clear host cache and restart NBU.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, it seems something has changed as far as DNS config for the master server is concerned.

From what I can see, when NBU was installed the master server resolved own hostname as igsestbup01.DOM.OAD.LCL
Can we assume that EMMserver in the registry is the same?

And now the server no longer resolves to that FQDN but to the names that can be seen in bpclntcmd command:
bpclntcmd -self

Can you change TCP/DNS settings on the server to match the original domain name?

Something that MAY work is to add aliases in the server's hosts file:

172.23.113.8 igsest1bup01   igsestbup01.DOM.OAD.LCL   igsest1bup01.iuser.iroot.adidom.com

Clear host cache and restart NBU.

Hope this helps!

Genericus
   VIP   

I have this kind of problems periodically because Netbackup is very sensitive to DNS and naming.

Windows is not case sensitive and unix is, I have a mixed environment and a unix master, I am always after my windows admins to standardize naming. 

PLEASE DEVELOP STANDARD NAMING!

short name, full name, all lower, all upper, these all are different to NetBackup.

I have had issues where multiple NIC on system, if Netbackup traffic is sent to system-backup and response comes from system NIC, NB processes fail - because system and system-backup are different systems to NB.

I quick rule of thumb - host properties MUST match.

Host name under properties, Client Name and "Use specified network interface:" on Universal Settings should all match. (although the last one can be blank in one NIC systems) 

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

NiklasV
Level 4

We recently installed backup Exec on our New server got everything to work now! so during our spare moment i decided to check on Netbackup again to see if we could retrive anything and followed your advice also had a friendly person who helped us and showed us more about Backup Exec and he came to the same conclosion as you people did

The entire thing is a DNS issue, our DNS is not located near us and we dont have access to it so we did a work around and edited the Hostfile and added our name.

Now everything works aswell as Netbackup that we will scrap for Backup Exec15

Thanks once again everyone!