Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network read failed (42)

HardikPatel
Level 3

hi
i am facing some problem in veritas netbackup 6.5.2
i have 3 servers which are configured as media server.
now one server with windows platform is not getting backed up from past 2 days
and giving error code 42 network read failed

i checked network settings and host files
ping test from host to server and vice versa.

and i checked some log and in bpdbm log file i found msg that is
db_valid_master_server: tcsc-ads.tcsckandla.com is not a valid server

plase provide help with this issue
i am new to veritas netbackup.

Thanx

7 REPLIES 7

Twinkle_Sapra
Level 5
Certified
1. Have you checked with bpclntcmd and telnet to bpcd ?

2. Check the bpbkar logs at server where backup is failing  and find the ( 10053,10054,10055). If found , problem indicates to network issue. 

3. Check the duplex setting of server(being backed up )

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
There are a few possible reasons, but I tend towards Twinkles response - either name resolution or connectivity issues:

Try the usual (in all directions if possible e.g. client>master, master>client):
telnet ... etc
ping ... etc
nslookup <client or master name>  [do this twice in-case of duplicate entries]
nslookup <client or master ip> [do this twice in-case of duplicate entries]
bpclntcmd  DOCUMENTATION: Explanation of bpclntcmd options, the system calls being used, and recommended troubl...

There's also the possibility (?) that the media server in question has been removed from the servers tab in the masters config:

STATUS CODE 42: When a backup is attempting to write to a remote media server, a NetBackup Status 42...

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If this weren't previously working I would lean toward checking the "Media Servers" and "Additional Servers" list in the host properties of the master server.  You may still want to look into this it's entirely possible it was removed somehow.

Also in addition to the commands that Andy has posted above for you to test connectivity you may want to try the command below.  It is very useful in testing connectivity and giving detailed debugging info when there is a problem.

bptestbpcd -verbose -client (client name)   or

bptestbpcd -verbose -server (server name)

se7en
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Check the client.
Can you manually run a backup? Does it complete? Does this only occur in the evening with the other scheduled backups?
Are there a lot of entries in the server list on the client?

HardikPatel
Level 3

i removed client from media server and reinstalled it and reconfigure on master server

now backup is start

but i dont know if its a right practice.

Android
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I'm glad you have the client backing up now.  I would put by bets on this being a communication problem between the client and the media server you were originally trying to use to back it up before moving it over to the master. 

Did you try any of the recommendations above to see if the media server and the client were able to resolve each others hostnames?

HardikPatel
Level 3
yes i did bpclntcmd, bptestbpcd commands from both the servers and output is ok from both the servers.
and this is a terminal server and 250 users are connecting remotely to thes server so i thought that no network issue.
after that i removed and reinstalled media server.