cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no media automatically to scratch pool after upgrade to netbackup 7.0.1

bonovox73
Level 4

Goodmorning,

After upgrading to netbackup 7.0.1, media with status Full expired don't go automatically to scratch pool like before the upgrade.

Of course I've checked media: any valid image is present, tape isn't in frozen state and if I force the expiration with command "bpexpdate" the media goes to scratch.

May be a lost info about the media status.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks

Bonovox
10 REPLIES 10

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Has the image cleanup run?

bonovox73
Level 4

The upgrade was done between the 9th and the 13th on august
Image cleanup runs regulary without errors.
Also, using command "NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpimmedia -mediaid <TapeNumber> -L" I can see that any image is already active from the media.
I seems that a config paramiter from some config files has changed or is missing.

I checked EMM database configuration with command "nbemmcmd -listsettings -machinename netbackup-master"

the RETURN_UNASSIGNED_MEDIA_TO_SCRATCH_POOL
is set to "yes"

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
"I can see that any image is already active from the media."

Are you saying that  the bpimmedia command shows that there are images on the tape?

bonovox73
Level 4

Sorry, there are not images from tape.

meanwhile I did this:

following this tip http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/355918.htm 
I created "CHECK_EXPIRED_MEDIA_INTERVAL" and I put value 2.
- Stop and start netbackup processes -
Now I'm waiting for the result.
But I think that it will not work because I cheched the output of the command "admincmd/nbpemreq -subsystems screen all"
and I could see that at 7:55 AM a cleanup run with command "bpexpdate -deassignempty -force" that in theory must clean any image and put tapes in to the scratch pool.
The expiration date for the tape was at 6:00 AM but the tape is not in the scratch pool.

Also, following the other tip:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/323334.htm
I verified that the "previus pool" for the tape was really "scratch" and it was so.

MKT
Level 5
Employee Accredited
If you have a Windows master, call Support and reference Etrack 2106924.  This is a known issue on 7.0.1 with docucumentation/hotfix due shortly.

BUG REPORT: DSSU duplications fail after upgrading a Windows master server to 7.0.1. Image Cleanup also fails

bonovox73
Level 4

Really you know this bug?
I'm going crazy for this bug, the week end is close, a lot of policies will run and I haven't any media to scratch

MKT
Level 5
Employee Accredited

more information here, check the bpdbm log for the message highlighted to confirm:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/358346.htm

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
but you say a manual bpexpdate works so hopefully you've got a workaround until you get the EEB.

bonovox73
Level 4

Thanks I solved. In effect it wasn't a really error, it was rather a problem for me don't have media in to the scratch pool as soon as possible.
The image clean_up moves clear tapes to scratch every 12 hours by command "bpexpdate -deassignempty"
It is possible lauch at hand or reduce time until 8 hours.
This is what I did.

P.S Etrack 2106924 doesn't concers with this issue.

However thaks to all

Bye

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
The time interval for image clean up is in the properties of the master server.
Just don't set it to run too often.