cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

password protect tape (netbackup 6.5.2a)

speedy_pg
Level 2

On restoration of data from a tape for security reasons, i would like to be prompted for a password, assigned to that specific media before restoration can begin.

I have a netbackup server with a robot libary attached to it.

I am struggling to find a quick way to do this, any help would be much appreciated, being a backup exec person this is all quite new to me.

Thank you
Paul
6 REPLIES 6

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified

hi,

you can use encryption for this purpose, there are two types encrytions available with netbackup, client based and media server encrytion option,
client based encrytion is free with NetBackup 6.5 standard client.

below is the link for the guide.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/290226

regards,
Srikanth.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
I believe you can password protect media with Backup exec, but enterprise, you'll have to use encryption.

speedy_pg
Level 2
Ok thanks guys

Yes you can password protect with backup exec, re encryption on netbackup, just reading through support doc, seems like a bit of a pain. Do I just accept the fact that the data is safe if annyone else gets there hands on it?? I am running a windows enviroment which is clearly not helping as netback is unix based with a windows front. I have looked in attributes and ticked "a box" and encrypted but how can I test this, maybe I am sounding like a muppit, but just ticking a box does not fill me with confidence. can anyone help me out abit more?

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
hi,

in page no 251 of the guide provided, you will have client side encrytion configuration details.

this client encrytion will be very useful only, if below points are taken into consideration.
  • when you have less clients for encrytion,
  • when you feel that your clients can take the load created during encrytion process
  • when you are ok, if your backup window increases.

if these things are not possible, you need to go for Media server encrytion option, which is seperately licensed and require a seperate media server.

finally, if you still not able to decide, let me know your setup, i shall try suggesting the right one.

regards,
Srikanth.

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
hi,

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/encryption-options-netbackup

Shashank
Level 4
Hi

I had log the call with symantec in past for password protection of tapes but they suggest that only we can encrypt data,we can't password protect tape.