cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem in netbackup

Sudip_Sinha
Level 3
one policy has been set to infinite retention and and after that not able to use that dat for rebackup in netbackup..any wayout to use that particular dat for backup..i have netbackup server 6 in windows 2000 server.
21 REPLIES 21

Stumpr2
Level 6
As long as the tape has adequate unused tape available, you should be able to use the tape for additional backups that also have infinity retention. Perhaps you have frozen the tape? It is common for netbackup admins to freeze tapes that have infinite retention and remove them.

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Sudip,

There are two options,
1. You can append the data to the same tape with the same retention (in your case infinate). - As Bob stated.

2. If you don't need the data which has backed up earlier with infinate retention period then you can expire the tape and reuse it.

You can use bpexpdate command to expire the media.

Raghava.

Marco_Barragan
Level 4
There is an option on the master server properties that allows netbackup server to write several retention levels on the same tape...

I haven't used it yet but it would help to optimize the tape usage and space available on the server. Try look for it. Let me knoe how it goes.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Thread: Is "allow multiple retentions per media " a good choice

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4331139ᚃ

Sudip_Sinha
Level 3
thanx for ur replly BOB, And Raghava,
I have tried the bpexpdate command to expire my dat.Its done.But still i am unable to reuse that partular dat with same media id or other media id.Its saying existing media is full ,asking for next media.ple help

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Sudip,

Was the expiration successful or were there any errors?

If it is successful did you check for the assigned time for the media is it showing any date .. if it is showing any date which means it still have images on it.

Ensure it should not have any assigned time stamp also you can perform the erase option.

Raghava.

Sudip_Sinha
Level 3
Thanx Raghava ,

there was no error in expiration.It was successful.how to get if there any time stamp on the dat and how to remove it..?
I am in trouble..

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Sudip,

You can run bpmedialist -mlist -m command to get the information about respective media ... in this case A00003.

The report would look like as following ..

Server Host = xxxnbu01xxxxx

id rl images allocated last updated density kbytes restores

vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A00003 10 147 05/14/2006 07:56 05/16/2006 01:12 hcart2 156496450 0

MPX 06/20/2006 01:17 N/A

Where bold letter date is assigned date and underlined date is expiration date of this media.

Raghava.

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Can you just paste the bpmedialist -mlist output here.

Sudip_Sinha
Level 3
its saying "requested media id not found in EMM database" The media id was A00000.But when i am trying to initiate new backup with that same dat..its taking the id A00003 or A00004.But then its saying that A00003 is full asking for another dat.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
The tape must have been assigned. Do a "vmquery -m A00000" to confirm.
If you see a line "assigned: " in the output, the tape is assigned.

De-assign the tape by using:

vmquery -deassignbyid A00000

you can get the pool_number & status from the output of "vmquery -m A00000"

Sudip_Sinha
Level 3
thanx Chia Tan Beng ,

in vmquery -m A00000 its giving
as pool_number =netbackup (1) and as status=0x0
but when i am putting this value in the command prompt its saying invalid syntax in status.
i have given the total command as
vmquery -m A00000 netbackup(1) 0x0
also tried only 1 as but result is same.

Sudip_Sinha
Level 3
thanx Chia Tan Beng ,

using this vmquery -deassignbyid A00000
as vmquery -deassignbyid A00000 netbackup(1) 0x0
its giving not valid syntax for status.
As this showing in vmquery -m A00000

Sudip_Sinha
Level 3
Can u tell me what is the simplle process to reuse any media before and after the expiration of that particular media.
I need to kow the process in graphical mode.
and also i have query regarding what is the operational difference between only netbackup server and enterprise netbackup server.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Sudip,
This forum is designed to have 1 question per thread. That helps others who may be searching for answers to a similiar question to find an answer.

If you change the topic from the original question,
then answers to the off topic question may not be seen by participants who are searching by topic name.

Does this make sense?

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Correct syntax should be:

vmquery -deassignbyid A00000 1 0x0

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
> Can u tell me what is the simplle process to reuse
> any media before and after the expiration of that
> particular media.

The simplest process is to expire the media by using "bpexpdate -m -d 0" and use "vmquery -m " to verfiy that the media is de-assigned. If the media is not manually move out from Scratch pool, it should be return to Scratch pool after bpexpdate command (maybe a small interval is needed to take effect). If the media is manually moved out of scratch pool, you can move the media to Scratch pool by using "vmchange -p -m " so that it can be utilised for other backup with different volume pool.

The above process is without consideration of other factors such as backup images spanned across tapes, etc.

> I need to kow the process in graphical mode.
> and also i have query regarding what is the
> operational difference between only netbackup server
> and enterprise netbackup server.

Please post this question onto another thread so that you can have a more specific subject and perhaps receive more response (btw, I'm not familiar with netbackup server).

Sudip_Sinha
Level 3
Dear all,

I am facing a problem in netbackup when the data size exceeds one dat and its not asking for another dat.how to set this option to ask for another dat after finishing the first one dat.

Thanx.

Stumpr2
Level 6
on the master and all media servers
->NetBackup Management
-->Host Properties
--->Media Servers
Bring up the properties page
->Properties
-->Media
Select "Allow backups to span media"