cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question Status Code: 96 (unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available )

O-a
Level 4
Hi all,

i backup large data servers(more then 1.2 T)and the backup is taking some time(more then 2 days).
sometimes i get the error 96 and the job status is DONE despite i marked the "take checkpoints every 15 M" check box.
and the TIme Window is still on.

is there any possible way to change the setting that if i get the status code 96 the job will not end and will wait until i change media(in other way that the resum job will not be in gray?

every time it happened to me i need to restart the job and backup all from beginning.

do you have another ideas for me to resolve this issue(i cannot add more than one media on my backup tape)

thanks for your halp.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Do you have a tape library or standalone tape drive?
If standalone, add a couple of media-id's in the Media section of the GUI. Next, load the newly added tapes one-by-one in the tape drive and label them with the media-id's that you've added. This way NetBackup will know that you have spare tapes available and will wait for a new tape to be mounted when a tape is full.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mike_Gavrilov
What type of Tape Libraries you use?

Marianne
Level 6
Do you have a tape library or standalone tape drive?
If standalone, add a couple of media-id's in the Media section of the GUI. Next, load the newly added tapes one-by-one in the tape drive and label them with the media-id's that you've added. This way NetBackup will know that you have spare tapes available and will wait for a new tape to be mounted when a tape is full.

Stumpr2
Level 6
What type of backup are you doing?
Can the filelist be divided into smaller parts?

g_man1
Level 3
You might try using multiple data streams to back up the server in less time

Jim117
Not applicable
Employee Accredited
Another idea is to suspend the backup after a day and then make sure you have room to add a second tape.

What is not clear is what type of device you are using. It sounds like a robot versus a stand alone drive.

You mention you only have room for 1 tape? You may wish to review the volume pool configuraiton and have more backups using the same volume pool and retention level. In doing so now you have groups of backups that can share the same tapes for the backups.