cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore hanging on windows 2008 and causing high cpu load

Pam_Daniel
Level 4
Certified

I'm trying to restore data on a Windows 2008 server which was backed up on a Windows 2003 server.  The restore hangs on certain files and causes a high cpu load.  I looked on the system and the high load is on NT Kernel and System.  The only resolution for the high cpu load is to reboot the server.  I'm still unable to restore the files in question. The restore will sit and not fail for hours.  

I'm running Netbackup 6.5.3 on Solaris 9 master and Windows 2003 media servers.

I have a case open 414-205-944 and have yet to speak to a support person since Friday.  They were supposed to call me back within 2 hours.  I've called back several times to be put back in the queue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

6.5.3 on master and media servers and 6.5.5 on client? I'm surprised that anything is actually working..... Client should not be a higher version than the backup server(s).

If you have installed 6.5.5 because that is the version that supports W2008 R2, you also need to upgrade the master and media servers.

Any errors/warnings in tar log or Event Viewer logs? (tar log is the 1st log that Symantec Support will ask for...)

If W2008 R2 - have a look at this hotfix that deals with performance issues during high disk I/O: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982383

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

data which you backup up in Database or file level ??

you can restore that data in ulternate location (master) server & then move to win2k8 server.

what is media ownership status ??

Marianne
Level 6

More info about your W2008 server, please?

Patch level? 32- or 64-bit? If 64-bit, did you install the 64-bit NBU client software?

Before trying restores - can you backup this client successfully?

Do you have any logs enabled on this client? (bpcd for connection, bpbkar for backups and tar for restores).

Pam_Daniel
Level 4
Certified

file level

The media is owned by the media server.

It's almost a Tb of data so I can't' restore everything to the master server.  I have been continuing the restore folder by folder and keeping track of the files that will not restore but it's tedious and I'm afraid I'm going to miss something. 

Pam_Daniel
Level 4
Certified

64 bit with 6.5.5 client installed.  I am able to backup the client successfully.  I had bpcd and bpbkar enabled and just made a directory for tar. and I turned up logging on the client. 

It's strange because it is only happening on particular files.  I went back to the original server and I can open the files and don't see anything wrong with the files in question.  And why would this make the CPU spike?   

Marianne
Level 6

6.5.3 on master and media servers and 6.5.5 on client? I'm surprised that anything is actually working..... Client should not be a higher version than the backup server(s).

If you have installed 6.5.5 because that is the version that supports W2008 R2, you also need to upgrade the master and media servers.

Any errors/warnings in tar log or Event Viewer logs? (tar log is the 1st log that Symantec Support will ask for...)

If W2008 R2 - have a look at this hotfix that deals with performance issues during high disk I/O: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982383

Pam_Daniel
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Marianne.  I'll take a look at that.  We are getting ready to upgrade to 7 and they threw this into the mix.