cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

separating Backup using login in credetials

AlexNtowGH
Level 4
Partner

i have a customer who wishes to backup SAP HANA, email, files and IP CCTV. Since the IP CCTV footage is sensitive, This should be back'dup by another admin, so that will be managed by a different group. So the separation is more on the Admin level. That means, Admin A should be able only to backup/restore SAP, email, Files and Admin B should only be able to backup/restore IP CCTV footage. it's kind of a multi-tenancy.

I understand that both admins will be sharing the same storage, Tape, Network.

How does NBU implement multi-tenancy?

Can NBU allow separate backup using different backup credentials (Admin A see's data he backup up and Admin B only see's data he backup)?

Or Will i need a separate mediaserver for the different admins?

Can this be implemented using NBU appliance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It is not possible to create sub admin group in Netbackup, you are either a admin or you are not. Not even NBAC allow admin right on a policy level.

In your scenario, using separate Netbackup installation is the only solution.

Using a appliance will not differ.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

Backup admins i.e some who can logon to the NetBackup JAVA console will see all details of the area they're allowed to access. By area i'm referring to Activity monitor, Devices, policies, storage units, etc etc. It is not possible to only allow a specific admin access to only certain policies. Its all or nothing.

From the Server Admin's point of view, they will by default only see the data backed up from their servers, and can only restore their data to their servers.

Another option is to give the admins access to opscenter, and create Views for their servers. They will then only see the clients/policies allocated to their View. Take note though that OpsCenter is limited in what you can do in terms of administration.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It is not possible to create sub admin group in Netbackup, you are either a admin or you are not. Not even NBAC allow admin right on a policy level.

In your scenario, using separate Netbackup installation is the only solution.

Using a appliance will not differ.

AlexNtowGH
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for your good comment.

What about using the NBU Self Service Portal?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

That migt work - at least for self servce restores. Don't think you can mange at NBU master server thru selv service.