cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you backup data to separate HDDs for even number days and odd number days?

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Hi, I have a very strange request from a customer. Customer wants to backup a single Windows Server 2016 and backup the data to two separate external hard drives attached to this server but they want to store backups taken on even number days of the month to say HDD1 and odd number days of the month to say HDD2. For instance. backups taken on the 1st, the 3rd, the 5th....of May are stored in HDD1, backups taken on the 2nd, 4th, 6th...of May are stored in HDD2. I tried to do this with my lab machine but I don't think this is possible. What do you think?

Also, would this be possible if you used Backup Exec? (sorry I know this should be asked in the Backup Exec section but I appreciate the feedback here if possible. Assume the latest version being used). For BE, I think you have to select each day manually, but you could run separate jobs to backup to separate HDDs. But it seems very cumbersome so I don't think this would be realistic.

I appreciate the feedback on this.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

@mk128935

Backup Exec certainly has more options/flexibility when it comes to the schedule but, yes, probably best if you ask over in that forum for a definitive answer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

@mk128935

With System Recovery, the only way to achieve this I believe is to create an independent backup (full only), then choose the monthly schedule. This gives you the option to specify 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc days of the month.

mk128935
Level 5
Employee
Thanks. And what if this was BE? (Or should I raise this in the BE section?)

criley
Employee Accredited

@mk128935

Backup Exec certainly has more options/flexibility when it comes to the schedule but, yes, probably best if you ask over in that forum for a definitive answer.

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Thank you. I already raised this in the BE forum.