cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slientclient.cmd for windows clients 7.0

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

We are working on trying to get the slientclient.cmd to push from System Center (SMS).

I am having issues with these lines in the script

REM Change the following lines to reflect the name of this master server, and any other servers
REM allowed to access this client. These options have no effect when reinstalling NetBackup.

SET CLIENT=this computer 

SET MASTERSERVER=master

REM Remove this line if you have no other media servers that will be allowed to access this machine
SET ADDITIONALSERVERS=media2,media3,media4

Now this is the silent CLIENT script.  I seemed to me that these would get ignored when doing the upgrade from 6.5.5 to 7.0.

So my question is - do I HAVE to change them? 
Or
If  I REM them will the script still work?

------
my issue is that for the 7.0 push it is adding master to the other server list and media2, media3, media4 to the media server list.
When we did the 7.0.1 upgrade it removed all servers and made "master" the master on the client.

--------

So anybody with experience in using the slientclient.cmd have any great words for wisdom for this UNIX person?
8 REPLIES 8

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I guess you should provide server and client names with these variables. In general, upgrade procedure on Windows is processed as uninstallation and new installation.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

in the script it as the lines:

SET CLIENT=this computer
SET MASTERSERVER=master

SET ADDITIONALSERVERS=media2,media3,media4

So when we do the msi push that calls this - it changes my clientname to "this"

and my master to "master"

So am I suppose to comment out all three lines.  And if I do will it keep the list it has.

(Getting tired of push, pull back to .6.5.5, push, pull back to 6.5.5 just trying to test this out.)

I cannot find any docs on how to use the slientclient.cmd script.

Somebody must be pushing out via SMS or System Center.  Any body got any good windows info for the challenged UNIX admin?

When we did the 6.5.3 to 6.5.5 upgrade we did not have to change anything in this file.

And there is no way I could change the file for ever server for the Client name, then push.  It would be easier to just install by hand!

Will_Restore
Level 6

"master" with your actual master server name and

"this computer" with your actual client name, right?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

You know I cannot find any good info on how to use the slientclient.cmd?

I found one guys blog that said to put %computer% where this computer is ( as I am using the same script to upgrade all the windows servers)

And did find out that with a new major release like 7.0 it does uninstall and reinstall, where the 7.0.1 patch does not.

We are getting a little closer.  And my SMS windows guy thinks he will have it working correctly today.

We had to put in some extra code to change the server name from upper case to lower case so my unix master would not have a fit.

But I think I am still going to have a problem with the servers that have FQDN in the policies.  I am not sure the slientcleint.cmd is going to put the names back as FQDN.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I got my mater correct,

I have my list of additional servers correct

But I am losing my  list of Media servers that was already on the client.

And I see no place in the script to add a list of media servers.

So how do you get this script to put in the media server names?

Jonathan_Bourke
Level 3

Hi there,

I am in the same situation... rather than manually upgrade 800+ clients, I want to modify the script to do the upgrade silently, leaving all settings exactly as they are.

This is further complicated by the fact that they all use a backup interface which is only defined DNS, and the fully qualified domain name is used as the NetBackup Client name. 

Groan!

So if you have been successful, I would love to hear how you went about it.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

the line

SET Client

should say

SET CLIENT=%computer%   

(this is going to pull the computer name from the client and be plugged back in.  Our issue was we used lowercase in NB and this does upper case - so we had to add a bit more code to convert it to lower case.)

SET MASTERSERVER=<PUT YOUR MASTER SERVER HERE>

SET ADDITIONALSERVERS=<PUT ANY OTHER SERVERS THAT YOU WANT TO HAVE ACCESS, ALL SERVERS THAT USE CONSOLE AND ALL MEDIA SERVERS>

--------------------

to get the lower case we did this

set content=%computername%
for %%c in (Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Zz) do call :convert %%c

SET CLIENT=%content% 

and at the very very bottom added this

:convert
set LETTER=%1
set UPPER=%LETTER:~0,1%
set LOWER=%LETTER:~1,2%
call set tSTRING=%%content:%UPPER%=%LOWER%%%
set content=%tSTRING%
goto:EOF 

---------------------------

this with the msi was taken up to System Center so we could do the push.

---

TEST TEST TEST TEST - TEST to make sure this works in your environment.  this was written for ours, and I take no responsibility for your use of it.

This does NOT work if using FQDN's on the client config.  If you have FQDN when 7.0 is installed it will go to short name.

Jonathan_Bourke
Level 3

The uppercase issue didn't really bother me, apart from aesthetic reasons, as we are using a Windows Master Server ;)

My major issue was the FQDN client name, as we played with 6.5 -> 7 upgrades, It's not defined in the client OS, and the sub domains can vary widely (don't ask!). Then I remembered one place where I can get it... the NetBackup "bpclntcmd -gethostname" returns the fully qualified client hostname.

Now to get that into the script. After a little googling, I came up with this:

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%i in ('c:\Progra~1\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpclntcmd.exe -gethostname') do SET CLIENT=%%i  

I set the MASTERSERVER parameter to point at our master server, and left the ADDITIONAL_SERVERS line blank. This seems to do a good job of upgrading from 6.5 to 7 while preserving the main settings. Now to test it a little bit more before rolling it out to the internal Windows Admins :)

Jonathan