cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

status 84 crc and sdlt tapes

spj
Level 3
I have sdlt2 tapes and some of them are not that old.  I have checked other posting regarding the status 84.  SCSI is working. Tape drive works with other tapes.  I have cleaned the tape heads but I have several tapes that can not be used.  How would I check the tapes before I commit them to the circular file?  I have seen one article to update net backup to 6.5.4.  I am running nbu 6.5. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

spj
Level 3
Thank you for the reply.  I am leaning toward bad media or media became bad.  The system is Windows.  Tape backups are working with other media but I'll go thru your list and double check the tape system.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
A netbackup upgrade won't help you with status code 84. There are 4 type of reason for status code 84
  • Bad media  or bad tape drives -  Check for SCSI sense keys, they can assist you in locating the problem.
  • Tape drive firmware problem  - Is the  tape drive firmware up to date ?
  • Connection related issue (SCSi or SAN related)
  • Dust
Long time ago I used  a tool called "scsitool box ".  With that tool you can run a series of test to establish the quality of drive/media. HP also provide a tool called "HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools" it may do the same job.

If you are on Linux, sg_logs can do the job:

sg_logs -p=2  /dev/nst0
    HP        Ultrium 3-SCSI    L29S
Write error counter page
  Errors corrected without substantial delay = 52
  Errors corrected with possible delays = 0
  Total operations = 0
  Total errors corrected = 0
  Total times correction algorithm processed = 58
  Total bytes processed = 723
  Total uncorrected errors = 0
congo:/usr/bin # sg_logs -p=3  /dev/nst0
    HP        Ultrium 3-SCSI    L29S
Read error counter pageg
  Errors corrected without substantial delay = 5
  Errors corrected with possible delays = 0
  Total operations = 0
  Total errors corrected = 0
  Total times correction algorithm processed = 5
  Total bytes processed = 61
  Total uncorrected errors = 0

spj
Level 3
Thank you for the reply.  I am leaning toward bad media or media became bad.  The system is Windows.  Tape backups are working with other media but I'll go thru your list and double check the tape system.