cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symantec netbackup difference between nbstlutil cancel lifecycle and inactive lifecycle

Arun_K
Level 6

symantec netbackup difference between nbstlutil cancel lifecycle and inactive lifecycle

I know what inactive means.

What does cancel does?

I have read the manuals.

The nbstlutil cancel command can be issued for a specific destination, life cycle or backupid to cancel pending 

operations for images in SLP. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So if i cancel a SLP,all its pending opeations will be cancelled which are in operations.all active or pending duplications wii be cosidered as complete by NBU?

Correct.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Keep on reading - the answer is in the manuals!

Open NBU Admin Guide I. Go to this topic: Lifecycle operation administration using the nbstlutil command

See Table 14-7 nbstlutil details

Tell what you see in 'How to use' column.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You have posted part of the answer:

"The nbstlutil cancel command can be issued for a specific destination, life cycle or backupid to cancel pending operations for images in SLP. "

Now lookup what the manual says for inactive, and you wil have the complete answer.

M

Arun_K
Level 6

So if i cancel a SLP,all its pending opeations will be cancelled which are in operations.all active or pending duplications wii be cosidered as complete by NBU?

Use nbstlutil to perform the following administrative actions:
■ List the status of lifecycle-managed images. TheEMMtable that tracks the status
of lifecycle-processed images can be printed. Supportmayrequest this information
to troubleshoot a lifecycle problem.
■ Cancel pending duplication operations on the selected images or image copies.
When a duplication is canceled, NetBackup considers the image or image copy to
be lifecycle complete. It does not attempt to create any more copies of the backup
image.
■ Deactivate (suspend) pending and future lifecycle operations on selected images
or image copies. NetBackup retains the image information so that processing can
be resumed by the administrator at a later time.
■ Activate (resume) suspended lifecycle operations on selected images or image
copies.
See the NetBackup Commands Reference Guide for a description of all the options
available for nbstlutil.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Correct.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You made an excellent effort to find the answer - therefore, I shall share a little extra knowledge with you.

When you cancel an SLP image :

1.  The backup copy reverts to the expiration time you set for it in the SLP.

So if my backup copy is taken on Monday and has a retention of 5 days ...

If the SLP duplicates this on mon (the day it was taken ) the backup copy expiration is changed from infinity to Fri.

If the duplication is not made bacause of a problem, and you cancel the image anytime before fri, the backup copy expiration is set to Fri, so it is set to whatever the retention period is, relative to when the backup was taken.

Here is the catch ...

If the copy is not made, and you canel the image 8 days after the backup was taken (or anytime after fri) them the backup copy is set to expire 5 days after is was taken, which is in the past. 

Therefore, it would expire instantly.

This catchs a lot of people out, and there is no way around it (well, not that is supported ...)

All you need to know ...

If there is a problem with SLP duplication, get it looked at immediately AND, set the retention time of the backup copy for at least a few days to give time to fix. 

NOTE:  Just thought of a way it might be possible to work around this, I'll have to test it though.

Martin