cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system_state backup fails, code 71, w2k3, nbu6.5.5

grumpyface
Level 4

We have started having a problem on a Windows 2003 x86 master server running NBU 6.5.5 when backing up the system_state.  It always fails with "none of the files in the file list exist(71)".  It used to work in this policy and now it doesn't.  I can list the vss writers with no errors and I can backup the system_state successfully using NTBackup.

The rest of the filesystem has no problems backing up and there are no vss errors in the event log.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

in the properties of the master server

client attributes - the server is listed and - verify that it is set to use vss.

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

My Guess is that you have Shadow Copy and System State listed in the backup selection list.

Since the client is Windows 2003, remove the System State Directive, it is not needed as System State is included in the Shadow Copy Components.

It also sounds like Multiple Data Streams is enabled causing the single System State Job to fail with Status 71.

What is likely happening is that the Shadow Copy Components job is starting and putting a lock on all Shadow Copy Components (Including System State)

When the System State goes active, it cannot access that component and fails with Status 71.

Disable multiple data streams and see if your job completes or remove System State from the Policy if there are no Windows 2000 clients.

--Tom

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Also make sure that no one has set an exclusion for the client in its client host proerties

grumpyface
Level 4

Thanks for the responses.  I have tried both System_State and Shadow Copy Components.  Individually and together.  I have also tried allowing streaming and not allowing streaming.  I have doublechecked that VSS is selected for the Open File Backup even though it shouldn't make any difference for this.

I should also mention that other servers have no problems when using the same policy.

It really looks like NetBackup is screwed up here but, as it is the master server, I don't really want to uninstall and reinstall.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

One thought then - looking at things from a different angle ....

Why are you backing up the Master Server?

If it dies then you need to build a new server, install NetBackup and recover the catalog before you can restore anything - by that time you have a fully working Master server so shouldnt need to recovery anything.

At worst it may be handy to take a copy of HKLM\Software\Veritas\ occasionally

grumpyface
Level 4

We have a number of other things installed which are a standard part of our server build as well as a large number of backup related scripts.  Yes, we could rebuild all of that and just restore the catalog and go from there but it is easier and faster if you can have the server restored the way you left it.

grumpyface
Level 4

Good point.  I checked this and it didn't look lilke there was anything offending in there.  I created another exclude list for just this policy and it didn't help.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I have this problem some times after they push MS patchs to the server and we start getting WMI errors - are reboot of the windows servers fixes the WMI and my SCC backups start working agian.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Sorry havent see in the posts that u try disableling any kind of snapshot, have u try this?