cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system state restore issue

Parthiban
Level 2
 Hi All,
 We are rebuilding the Windows 2003 Enterprise client server which was crashed 2 days before. Below are the steps we followed.

1. same OS with correct  MP & patches as were in the earlier installed.
2. Installed the Netbackup 6.5.3 in D:/ Drive.
3. C:/ drive has been restored successfully.
4. But the restore failed when started the Shadow copy components & system state. Restore goes fine with system services but i am getting the below error when the restore starts restore on system state.

Error:    system state:/ cannot create directory host <hostname>  (Wnidows 32 The system cannot find the specified path)

Below is the directory structure in the backup

Hostname
|--C:/
|-- D:/
|--Shadow copy components
|      |-- System services
|
|--- System state

Here the issue is system state. It is listed as seperate drive in the backup. I saw Most of the backup contains the System state under the shadow copy components. so if we restore the Shadow copy components it will restore both sysytem state & system services toghther. I never faced use in that.

But in this server backup it is listed seperatly and iam not able to  restore back to original location. Iam getting the above error.
How to restore the system state. Please suggest me.

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Parthiban
Level 2

Issue resolved after installing the Correct version of the Netbackup client server.

It was 6.5.5 before crash. but the server team installed 6.5 only. We found it after lots of battles. The doc above is excellent.

Thanks all for the solution.

You Rock !!!

-Parthiban

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
R U trying to use Bare Metal Restore?

is that The same hardware?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Try to use this procedure, we have used it many times with success.

HOWTO: Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows XP, 2000, 200...

The procedure also describe what log are needed to debug the restore.

rjrumfelt
Level 6

The document above is an excellent walkthrough - the steps lined out are pretty basic, but its also good to have to calm your nerves when working through a potentially stressful outage/restore situation.

Does anyone know if Symantec has released a similar document for Windows 2008?  

****EDIT****

I realize the header of the technote references 2008 clients, but surely something has changed.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
HOWTO: Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows 2008 client(...

***EDIT***
Altho' the date of this is older than the one that referenced it.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
I did not notice that link.

It appears the only major difference is the removal of the w2koption

Parthiban
Level 2
Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions.

Below is the error which iam getting during the restore. finally the job goes incomplete.
Can't create file: system state:\ (Win 32 2: The system cannot find the file specified)

Thanks,
Parthiban

Parthiban
Level 2

Issue resolved after installing the Correct version of the Netbackup client server.

It was 6.5.5 before crash. but the server team installed 6.5 only. We found it after lots of battles. The doc above is excellent.

Thanks all for the solution.

You Rock !!!

-Parthiban

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

if you were unsure, it was covered in the doc:

"...

3. Install NetBackup Client.

Install the same version of the NetBackup Client for Windows as it was during the backup, including any necessary patches.  Do not install a newer (higher) version than the master server.  

If the client version is not known, the version file (<install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\version.txt) can be restored from the backup image of the client to an alternate location on the master or a media server and examined.

..."