cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96)

JBarnette
Level 2

Hi NetBackup gurus-

I am hoping that someone can give me some ideas as to my problem...unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available(96).

I am currently running 6.5.2A on a Windows 2003 server.

The issue is that there were 5 SCRATCH tapes in the scratch pool while I was getting these errors overnight.  The policies and the server are well established in our environment and I have never seen this type of behavior before.  The VMCONF file is correct and the "scratch pool" box is ticked.

Any thoughts??  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Status of the Scratch tapes? Frozen? Max mounts? Density? Owner?

Another post with a few Tech Notes :

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=21&thread.id=47613

JBarnette
Level 2

Hi Andy-

Thanks for the prompt reply.

These tapes are AIT3 media and they are brand new and never have been in any other robot or mounted.  The max mounts in the admin console read "0", they are not frozen and the media owner is blank and status is Active.

Again I haven't ever seen this behavior before when there are scratch tapes available.

Thanks,

Josh

zippy
Level 6
Do you have more that one Volume pool?

JBarnette
Level 2
yes i do

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Try creating a temp pool and move this five medias here, then change the pool under one policy and run a job, just to see who it came up and see if there is any issue with the volDB or mediaDB.

let us know.

zippy
Level 6

The Scratch Pool only takes care of the Netbackup Pool, are you getting 96 from lets say a job that is using a pool other than the Netbackup pool?

If it is

Re-allocate tapes to be used in the failing 96 pool.

Cool?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

did you verify in netbackup that the tapes show up has the same media type as your tape drives.

in the media window what does media type say.

in device montior what does drive type say.

these have to match.

if your drive type is Hcart3 and your tapes are DLT - they it will say there is no media avail because the types don't match.

Jeff_Sundin
Level 3
Partner

In the previous posters example, he is correct. Even to the level of HCART is not the same as HCART2, or HCART3.  They need to match, otherwise NBU says, "NO!"