cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to browse for Backup Selections on Windows Remote Netbackup Administration Console

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Environment:

• Master Server:  windows 2008 R2, Netbackup 7.5.0.3
  • Media Server:  5200 appliance, appliance level 2.5 (which I think corresponds to NBU 7.5.0.2)
  • Remote Administrator Console:  my desktop, windows 7..  NBU 7.5.0.3 also

Issue:

• in policies, in the "Backup Selection" tab
  • hit "New"
  • hit little folder that browses file systems of client
  • TIMES OUT.. cannot connect to any client
  • This works on the Master Serv

Already Checked/Tried:

• firewall: have all the right ports open to master & media, everything else works, and per another post, the one i need for this browsing is 13782.  double checked, and that is in the "open" range.
  • In the Host Properties - Master Servers, my PC is in the "Additional Servers" tab.  And like I said, everything else works, can create policies, run stuff, connect to clients, everything but browse backup selections.

Thoughts (yes, thinking on a Friday wink)

• maybe the firewall problem is between my PC and the CLIENT I want to browse?  The master server is on the same subnet, so that wouldn't be an issue.
  • Guess I could install and try the Java console too.
  • Prolly should contact support

THANKS for any pointers.

17 REPLIES 17

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The remote admin console server / pc probably does not have rights to any other machines.

You would need to add it to all clients server list as a valid server to give that PC rights to borwse or deal with the other servers

For restores you may also want to add it to the Master Servers host properties - Client Attributes section and give it full browse rights so that it can also perform all restore operations.

Hope this helps

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

THANKS for the suggestions..  being a little dense here.

Is this where you mean?  (Atlantica is my PC)..  which option is "full browse rights"?

ALSO, I did add my PC as a server in the client for which I wanted browse.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Thats the one - add your PC into there and allow both on the left and permit access on the right

Also - and this one sounds odd - but add your PC as a server in its own server list and then see how it goes - it may need  a service restart on the master but try it first

Hope this helps

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

If that did not solve your issue, we would need to see the admin and nbconolse log from your workstation.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

"Allow both" under "Browse and Restore Ability" on the left side and  "Permit access" under "Free browse on the right"

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

NUTS, that sounded so promising..  Added the "Allow Both", stopped & started services.  Same "no access".. 

Will dig out logs and thank you everyone..

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Did you also put your pc into its own server list?

Open the BAR GUI, go to Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type - select Edit Server List and add your own PC in

If you are allowed at the Master, included in the additional servers list on the clients and included as a server on your own PC then that should give you enough - the only thing really needed should be having your PC in the clients additional server list as long as name resolution is good as there will be communication both ways - maybe setup bpcd logging on your pc and the client to see what it complains about

Hope this helps

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Good thought!  However, I went to the "BAR" (hehehe) and my PC was there. 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - do the bpcd logs on your pc and the client you want to browse and see what it logs in either set of logs when you try to browse

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

had to create all the log directories on my PC -- and tried the "browse selections" again.

Got an nbconsole log, which I'm attaching, but my "admin" folder was empty.  Is that a clue?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Only 19MB! .. It was the bpcd logs i was really looking for (and maily from the client) which may explain this entry in your log:

status: FAILED, (44) CONNECT_TIMEOUT; system: (10036) A blocking operation is currently executing. ; FROM 0.0.0.0 TO faxination2.millersville.edu 166.66.86.58 bpcd VIA pbx

I expect it to say something about an invliad server

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Okay, so I got bpcd logs from my PC and from the client I'm trying to browse.   I don't even see any attempt by the PC to get to the client, all I see is attempts from our "What's Up Gold" server, prolly trying every minute to see if NetBackup is still there on client.

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Go to the client that you are trying to browse that is giving you the error.  Add a host file for the server you are running the remote admin console.

Test

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

If it still fails after adding host file, check the application event viewer to see if nbconsole is faulting.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Looking at the logs there is no sign of your PC getting through to the client - yet I assume the Master is the same side of the firewall as your PC?

Worth having 1556 open as well and also checking that the firewall rules do not restrict ports via IP address which would mean that only the Master and Media Servers can get through but not your PC.

Hosts files are definately worth a try, especially on the client if there is a lack of DNS in the DMZ

Other than that is if NAT is in use across the firewall in which case IP addresses will not get translated correctly across the firewall.

Whatever is causing it your PC does not seem to get through to the client at all (so check your PC and the Client for their own forewalls as well.

Hope this helps

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Okay, I have to take a step back and re-access.

I'm pretty sure it's not DNS.  can lookup and reverse lookup both machines from both machines.  But of course, i've been wrong before.  Today.

Symantec closed my ticket -- cause we started to think YUP, it's the fact my PC is one side of the firewall, and the machine I want to browse, on the other, in a "server net" a firewall in between.  The evidence would suggest that, since logs of the "browsee" did not contain any mention of my PC.

BUT today i played a littlle more.  I can browse my own PC from my PC (no surprise there) but I could NOT browse my neighbor's PC (which is also a NetBackup client) and it's on the exact same subnet as mine, .

I'm regrouping and going back through everyone's good suggestions, and will let folks know what I find out.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

I did mention checking the firewall on your own PC earlier (which could also apply to your colleagues PC)

On top of that do you use something like McAfee with the access protection (or even Symantec Endpoint Protection) as both of these have components that will block what they see as network intrusion - and you trying to browse another systems files via network calls can be seen as just that - not only that but McAfee has a firewall driver that stays live even when AV and Access Protection are disabled - the only way to disable it is to rename the driver and re-boot - a little details here : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125622

Just a little more food for thought