cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to intialize device mapping file -

Sathyam_G
Level 3
Hi,

I have master server Windows 2003 R2 installed with tape library in SAN. I need to configure media servers in both linux and windows OS which are connected in SAN. NB6 with MP4 is installed in master server. installed media server in windows NB 6 with MP 4 on w2k3 R2 with HP MSL 6060 drives (2 no's ) in SAN.

Now i am trying to add 2 linux servers as SAN media server with NB6. The OS is RedHat Linux Advance server version 4.

I am able to see the drives from the OS as well as locally if i run the command

#scan -tape
but also gives " unable to intialize device mapping file, satus=77)

#tpconfig -d also gives the same error message "" unable to intialize device mapping file, status=77"

I have added linux server as a media server using "nbemmcmd "command . I am not able to detect the drives and robots in the device config wizard from master server, when i run the device config wizard by selecting the linux server.

Logs shows "EMM intialization failed"

Other windows SAN media servers are working fine.

The tape drives i am able to see in linux os, but how to make sure that netbackup detects it and how to configure it in SAN.

I am planning to do the backup of ORACLE RAC database on the same linux server any procedures and guidelines are most welcome as i am doing this for the first time

Kindly help to solve this.Message was edited by:
Sathyam G
11 REPLIES 11

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
oracle database backups exports datapump
good thread
http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=68448&tstart=0

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278891
STATUS CODE 77 occurs if a fully qualified domain name is provided for the virtual name of the master when running the cluster_config script with Veritas NetBackup (tm).

I do not know if that is pertinent but I would check the naming on both Master and Media server and make sure they match exactly.

Sathyam_G
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for your tips. I am not able to see the tape drives connected in SAN in the linux server, which is acting as a san media server. This is new installation. From OS side able to see the drives

When i run the # scan -tape command from linux it gives the error message "unable to intialize the device mapping file"

#tpconfig -d also doesn't show any tape drives

Rgds
Sathyam

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
if you do not see and tapes or the robot when running sgscan or scan then netbackup does not see anything. It looks like a problem with the hba driver. If you look in /kernel/drv/sg.conf do you see the type of tape that you are trying to use listed?

you need the sg driver that should have been loaded when you installed Netbackup.

Can you see the drives with robtest?

have you done anything like this?

rm /dev/rmt/*
cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver
cp st.conf st.conf.old
cp sg.links sg.links.old
cp sg.conf sg.conf.old
rm -f /kernel/drv/sg.conf
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sg.build all -mt 15 -ml 15
##comment out old entries/ or delete old entries in st.conf in /kernel/drv/st.conf , such as
##name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;
cat /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/st.conf >> /kernel/drv/st.conf
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install
devfsadm -C -c tapes or reboot -r
scan

Sathyam_G
Level 3
HI,

Thanks for your information. With robtest i am not able to see the drives. I have not done anything which you have given after installing netbackup media server.

In linux if i type the following commands when both the drives in the library are loaded i am able to see the tape.
# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
# mt -f /dev/nst1 status

But for netbackup to recogonize do i need to follow the steps what you have given.

I just went thru the Media manager config guide - under linux they have give the commands make_scsi_dev & mknod command to create device file.

Kindly guide me to proceed further

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Unfortunatly I am just a Solaris guy but yes you need to do something like the above. I think the make_scsi_dev & make node commands will repace the devfsadm commands that I listed. If you do not want to run those I think you can do a boot -r.

You will most likley need to install your sg driver. If you cannot see the drives when doing a robtest then Netbackup will never see the drives. Try and do the steps I listed above.

cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver
cp st.conf st.conf.old
cp sg.links sg.links.old
cp sg.conf sg.conf.old
mv /kernel/drv/sg.conf sg.conf.old
rm -f /kernel/drv/sg.conf
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sg.build all -mt 15 -ml 15
##comment out old entries/ or delete old entries in st.conf in /kernel/drv/st.conf , such as
##name="st" class="scsi" target=0 lun=0;
cat /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/st.conf >> /kernel/drv/st.conf
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install

tnen do a boot -r or what every boot command rebuilds the device drivers. You may have to use you linux commands. Hmmm someday I need to get a linux box and hook a library up to it. A Wintell box too.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Dennis,
You are posting some really good stuff !!

for Solaris:
all I want to add is that there is a problem with Sun branded Emulex HBA cards.
Here is patch info

Document Audience: PUBLIC
Document ID: 120222-11
Title: SunOS 5.10: Emulex-Sun LightPulse Fibre Channel Adapter driver
Copyright Notice: Copyright ? 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Update Date: Mon Aug 07 15:16:37 MDT 2006

Keywords: fibre channel emlxs mdb macro
Summary: SunOS 5.10: Emulex-Sun LightPulse Fibre Channel Adapter driver
Date: Aug/04/2006Document Audience: PUBLIC Document ID: 120222-11 Title: SunOS 5.10: Emulex-Sun LightPulse Fibre Channel Adapter driver Copyright Notice: Copyright ? 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved Update Date: Mon Aug 07 15:16:37 MDT 2006
http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patchpageMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Thanks. Just tying to get that elusive 5 points. 10 for a correct would be super cool but unfortunatly I lack linux skilz.

Sathyam_G
Level 3
Hi ,

Thanks for your help. Finally it solved

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Sathyam,
what was it? If you do not mind I would like to know.
thanks

Sathyam_G
Level 3
Hi

I just added manually robot and ran device configuration wizard. It got detected.

Thanks for your inputs.

Rgds
Sathyam G