cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 96 when manually cleaning drives

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Bah, when will netbackup actually do something I ask :)

Anyway, tapes are in and configed (I hope).

When I try a manual clean of any drive I get the error message
"Error occured: volume does not exist in database (35)"
Error 96 in the job itself.

So what gives? Is it an issue with the cleaning tapes having a volume group listed?
8 REPLIES 8

zippy
Level 6
you imported the cleaning tapes incorrectly. take a look at
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/

choose the version of Admistrators Guide you have installed.

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Right, the only thing different is that they use DLT_CLN not DLT3_CLN as I had, and it didnt work.

So how have I imported them wrongly? Can you give any more info?

Cheers

DavidParker
Level 6
Mark,
Are the cleaning tapes in the same Volume Group as the rest of your tapes?
Note: Volume Group is not the same as Volume Pool.

For example, are all your data tapes in VG: 00_000_TLD and the cleaning tapes are in VG: 00_001_TLD?

zippy
Level 6
They have to be in the "none" volume pool.

What type of tape drive do you have?

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Guys, Cleaning tapes are in the none pool, always were, I specificed a barcode rule for all that.

volume group, they are in the 000_00002_TLD group, most other tapes seem to be in the 00_002_TLD group, when I try to change the group I only have the 000_00002_TLD group listed. Should I change it through the command line or is there something deeper going on here?

Thanks Guys. :)

zippy
Level 6
First you need to remove all cleaning tapes from your configuration, find the tapes and eject them or pull them out of the library, now find them in the DB and delete them, if they are not seen in the database or in the Volume group at all and the tapes are in the library then remove them.

Read this link

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4416441掹

how many robots do you have?

If you only have one robot then your system may have been upgraded, anyhow, this number 00_002_TLD gets configured at installtion time, usually a new robot or new installation starts at 00_000_TLD, soooo if you add another robot, lets say in a upgrade then you will get the next number in line. Anyhow read the link and try again, or you can read the Admin Guide.

Mark_Hill
Level 4
But thats just the point, I have tried that four times now with the same result.

The are two robots in the system, TLD0 and TLD2

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
The easiest way to setup barcode rules is through the gui. Run it with the -lc option then do a tail -f on the log file. cut and paste the in your notes file, this is something you want to start now. Create a text file. every time you learn some thing type it in or cut and paste it into the file. Try and keep it somewhat organized.