cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unassigning media to use as scratch

Arvin197
Level 2

Hi everyone,

My problem is that i have tapes that i want to use that is assigned therefore i cant change to scratch in order to use.How do i unassign the tapes? Is there a script that i can run? Netbackup 7.0.

thanks in advance,

4 REPLIES 4

Amit_Karia
Level 6

As long as there are images on tape it will not be un-assigned.. forcefully unassigning tapes is not good practice , it might hamper emm db

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Tapes are assigned because there are valid backup images on them. Retention levels are normally a business requirement, and trust me, users KNOW for how long there backups are supposed to be kept. They have a habit of requesting a restore a couple of hours before the backups are due to expire naturally.

Run 'images on media' report, find out from system owners if these backup images are still required, and ONLY when you are 100% sure that the backups are no longer required, expire all images on tape:

bpexpdate -d 0 -m <media-id>

This will expire media, unassign the tape and return it to scratch (provided it came from scratch).

Stumpr2
Level 6

Check the logfiles to see if Netbackup is trying to unassign a tape and failing with an error. It happens.

Check for FROZEN tapes that no longer have valid images on them. FROZEN tapes are always assigned.

Arvin197
Level 2

thanks for the advice guys,bpexpdate -d 0 -m <media-id> works well,luckily i didnt have to use it because my new stock of tapes arrived on time.