cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update_clients script unable to update the clients

nbu123
Level 5

Hello All,

Master server version 7.7.2 running on LINUX REDHAT OS.

I am trying to use the update_clients script to update few of the clients which are currently having 6.5.6 and 7.0 but its getting failed.

Below is the error message

Updating client client1.xxx.com -- Linux hardware running IBMzSeriesSuSE3.0.76
Updating client client2 -- Solaris hardware running Solaris10
Updating client client3 -- Solaris hardware running Solaris10
        client1.xxx.com: update failed, see /tmp/update_clients.06-02-0541.2406
        client2: Previous Release client type - no update done
        client3: Previous Release client type - no update done

Below are the output of uname -a from hosts

client1.xxx.com:-

Linux client1 3.0.101-68-default #1 SMP Tue Dec 1 16:21:37 UTC 2015 (ed01a9f) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

client2 & client3

SunOS client2 5.10 Generic_147440-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R

Below is the content of the .txt file that i am reffreing to  update_clients script 

Linux IBMzSeriesSuSE3.0.76 client1.xxx.com
Solaris Solaris10 cleint2
Solaris Solaris10 client3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
There should be a Readme file that explains the contents of the Client files. If memory serves me right, Clients1 is for Solaris, AIX and HP-UX. Clients2 is for Linux clients.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6

Have you installed 7.7.2 Solaris client binaries on the Linux master? 

See Installing client type software on a master server  in NetBackup Installation Guide 

nbu123
Level 5

Marianne,

we have recently upgraded our master from 7.5.0.7 to v7.7.2

Below are the content from master

$ ls
Solaris10  Solaris9  Solaris_x86_10_64
$ pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris

Will_Restore
Level 6

Check the version file in Solaris10 subdirectory. 

Also review  /tmp/update_clients.06-02-0541.2406  to see why the client updates failed.

Marianne
Level 6

When a server is upgraded, only the binaries for same OS-family will be upgraded along with server binaries.
So, on a Linux master, only Linux client binaries will be upgraded.

Client binaries for other Unix clients need to be installed separately as per the instructions in the Installation Guide.

As per Will's post - locate the 'version' files in the Solaris sub-directories and check the contents:
# cat version

nbu123
Level 5

Thanks Marianne and Will

I had checked the version of client binaries on Master server and most of them are still on v7.5.0.7.

Therefore i would need to install the latest binaries on master server.

I don't have the DVD avaliable with me from where i can download the client binaries on the master server.

Can you please let me know from where i can download the same, also what are procedure to install them on master.

Also do i need to stop the netbackup process while installaing the client binaries? if no then will it affect any running backup/restores?

Genericus
   VIP   

Please be aware of space on the clients as well. You need to ensure that the TMP and OPENV directories have enough space. 

Failed client installs may leave client down, and not able to backup.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne
Level 6
Logon to MyVeritas (using email address used on License purchase) https://my.veritas.com/ Once logged in, click on Licensing. A list of ‘Entitlements’ will appear that corresponds with the list on the License Certificate. Downloads can be found in the 'Files' tab. PS: Where did you get the Server software from? These days all software is downloaded this way.

nbu123
Level 5

Marianne,

I had logged in to my veritas account and found below 2 options to download.

NetBackup_7.7.2_CLIENTS1.tar.gz

NetBackup_7.7.2_CLIENTS2.tar.gz

Are these the ones that i need to download and install it on my master server and then push/upgrade the binaries from master server.

Also it would be great if you can share the steps that i need to follow for installing these packages on master server.

Marianne
Level 6
There should be a Readme file that explains the contents of the Client files. If memory serves me right, Clients1 is for Solaris, AIX and HP-UX. Clients2 is for Linux clients.