Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vault

zoan_nbu
Level 4

Hi ALL,

i HAVE read the vault admin guide but does not find :

1. Why vault sleeps for 180 seconds?Where I can change this settings?
  2. My vault runs daily.I know how to check what media needs to be ejected.But can anybody provide me the scripts to check what all media are not ejected in that vault sessions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

180 seconds is for dealy to give the time for media unmount if any... and I dont think you can chage it.

may be you can try chaning the Media unmount delay option in Master server host properties--> Media  ( not sure if that works)

Non-vaulted Images is the report that will give you the list of media id. backup id ... etc 

View solution in original post

zoan_nbu
Level 4

@RON:I have read that 180 seconds (vault hard coded coded) + media unmount delay  is the automatic vault eject delay.

Is below correct?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37722&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsy...

Modification:
The vault process includes a 180 second (3 minutes) delay as part of its hard coded configuration.  In NetBackup 5.0 and above, this delay is automatically added to any value set forMEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY.  Therefore, the minimum wait for a vault eject is 180 seconds (value of 0).  

Note: The default value of MEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY is 180 seconds (3 minutes).  This value can also be found in the GUI's Host Properties by selecting the Media menu item:

The automatic vault eject wait is equal to the value of MEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY (1800 seconds, in this example) plus 180 seconds hardcoded into Vault.  If MEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY is not set inbp.conf, the value would be 360 seconds (180 seconds + default value of 180 seconds forMEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY).

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

zoan_nbu
Level 4

Hi ALL,

Please make me understnad this.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

180 seconds is the Media Unmount Delay, set in the Master server's properties in the "Media" tab.  This value is normally used to keep a tape mounted in a drive so that any subsequent calls for a tape matching those same parameters (density, expirtion period, etc.) would not have to wait for a tape to be unmounted and remounted each time a job ended and another one started.

Vault uses this value to wait for any tapes that have just finished but have not been completely ejected to a slot yet.  You probably don't want to reduce this value, unless you want to negatively impact your backup times by making tape jobs wait for a tape to unmount, be put away, then remounted in another drive.

RamNagalla

hi,

180 seconds is for dealy to give the time for media unmount if any... and I dont think you can chage it.

may be you can try chaning the Media unmount delay option in Master server host properties--> Media  ( not sure if that works)

Non-vaulted Images is the report that will give you the list of media id. backup id ... etc 

zoan_nbu
Level 4

@RON:I have read that 180 seconds (vault hard coded coded) + media unmount delay  is the automatic vault eject delay.

Is below correct?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37722&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsy...

Modification:
The vault process includes a 180 second (3 minutes) delay as part of its hard coded configuration.  In NetBackup 5.0 and above, this delay is automatically added to any value set forMEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY.  Therefore, the minimum wait for a vault eject is 180 seconds (value of 0).  

Note: The default value of MEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY is 180 seconds (3 minutes).  This value can also be found in the GUI's Host Properties by selecting the Media menu item:

The automatic vault eject wait is equal to the value of MEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY (1800 seconds, in this example) plus 180 seconds hardcoded into Vault.  If MEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY is not set inbp.conf, the value would be 360 seconds (180 seconds + default value of 180 seconds forMEDIA_UNMOUNT_DELAY).

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So - you found your answer. 

Well done for doing own research!

Are you asking us if the TN is correct? Why would anyone doubt the TN?

Seems you don't have a problem - just another theoretical question, right?

zoan_nbu
Level 4

The TN is from 5.1.

Does it is valid for 7.1?

1. if this is the case then why vault waits for 180 seconds?(if media unmount is there)

RamNagalla

Zoan,

yes its valid for 7.X also...

and

they are lot of things which you need to accept them "as how they are"., than trying to find "why they are"

unless you are having issue with this there is no use  of looking for  answer...

they is a lot in Netbackup which requires to know and learn if you have ample of time try to get those..

zoan_nbu
Level 4

I will need ur help nagalla.

1. if this is the case then why vault waits for 180 seconds?(if media unmount is there).

total is 360 seconds

Marianne
Level 6

Please read Nagalla's post again:

... they are lot of things which you need to accept them "as how they are"., than trying to find "why they are"

unless you are having issue with this there is no use  of looking for  answer...

Now.... accept and LET IT GO!

RamNagalla

I dont know the answer.... i even don't need that...

why you would like to know that?

zoan_nbu
Level 4

In my environment vault jobs states that sleeping for 180 seconds.

It should me more because unmount delay is also there.

RamNagalla

i read in another post where you said you are looking for job

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/tape-media-header

now you are saying that "In my environment vault jobs states that sleeping for 180 seconds."

does it causing any issues?

@ Moderaters

seems its time for you to lock this post

zoan_nbu
Level 4

I dont have a job.Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6

Please clear solution for your own post - Nagalla has supplied you with correct answers.