Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpsCenter agent as a proxy

Kaspar_Brygger
Level 3
Partner

Hello forum.

I would like to use an OpsCenter agent host as a proxy between the OpsCenter server and one Master server. Setup is as follows:

- OpsCenter 7.6.0.4 (on Windows) secure network

- Master server 6.5.6 (on Linux) in customer network

- Proxy host (on windows) in DMZ

Firewall is blocking traffic direct from OpsCenter to the Master server. That's why I wan't to use a proxy/jump host.

When I try to create a data collector, it only gives me the option to collect data from Backup Exec. Why?

Regards

Kaspar Brygger

/Kaspar
3 REPLIES 3

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Kaspar, 

You do not need to setup a data collector for NetBackup, just the agent host.

With the Agent Host software installed on the 'jump host' and patched to 7.6.0.4 (must be the same as your OC Host)

Click on Settings > Configuration > Agent

Click Create Agent

- Specify the Agent Hostname (Jump Host)

- OS Type

- Network Address if Applicable

Click Save to Save the Agent Config

Next - click on the NetBackup Tab, under Settings > Configuration

Edit the Master you wish to add the agent host to.

Follow the wizard in 7.6 - and adjust the OpsCenter Agent Name to your jump host.

The NetBackup Installation Path - is the NBU installation path on the jump-host, not your master. 

* Note : The NetBackup Admin Console - must be installed on your agent host. 

Save the new configuration.

Test your data collection.

Kaspar_Brygger
Level 3
Partner

Hi Tom and thanks for your reply.

I've followed your description and I must mention that I did try this method before.

The first part creating the agent is done and without any remarks. The next part where I must add the "new" Master to OC the wizard doesn't go through without error messages.

On the first step I must put in the IP/host name for the Master server and a "display name". When I add the IP for the Master server (which I can't reach direct from the OC server) an error comes up stating "no connection to Master". Just after I must tell it the version of NBU which is 6.5.6.

I click next and now I can check some extra collection features to be able to choose to use the newly configured OC agent. Only if I check one of the 5 extra collect items, I can choose the agent option.

When I move forward in the wizard and click save/finish, all seems to be fine and the Master (with agent option) is added. But OC states that there is no connection to the Master server and no data gets collected.

All ports on 1556 are open bi-directional between the OC <-> proxy agent <-> Master server. But no luck in the data collection.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Regards

Kaspar Brygger

/Kaspar

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Kaspar,

Things to check... 

• Ensure the Agent Software is installed and patched to the same release (7.6.0.4)
  • Ensure the NetBackup RAC is installed at the same version of the master (6.5.6)
  • Ensure the Agent Server Hostname is added to the bp.conf on the master 
  •                  SERVER = agent_server_hostname
  • Disable / Enable Data Collection (Check the 146 logs on the Agent Server)

Also, NAT is not support for communication with OpsCenter.

Ensure there is a bi-directional name - to - ip (resolution) for each server - 

- OpsCenter to Agent

- Agent to OpsCenter

- Agent to Master & Master to Agent (this should be on the same DMZ -VLAN)

--Tom