Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report to Show Virtual and Physical?

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
Hi

I was wondering if there was a way in which to produce a report to signify which servers are Virtual and which are physical?

We currently have 79 Netbackup client agents to backup. Our manager know about the way the licensing works for Netbackup, so they have asked us for a report to show the amount of physical and virtual servers we backup in a monthly report.

We were initially struck by the following link:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/311758.htm

This report pulls from the fields within the database, but does not show any data in the fields. Now we have not implemented the VCB proxy as of yet, but wondered if there is indeed a back to differentiate between physical and virtual servers.

Sorry for the complex request (they always seem to be from me these days!!)

Thanks

Trevor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
Hi all,

I thought I would update you as to how we created a report on Physical vs Virtual servers.

I created two new Generic Objects within view builder, one called Virtual_Servers and another called Physical_Servers. Added the appropriate servers to the objects and then used VBR to create a pie chart of filtering at the corresponding view level, in our case level 2.

Thanks

Trevor

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Peter_E
Level 4
Employee

Hi Trevor - The link in your post is about reconciling licenses for the backup reporter product.  It has nothing to do with list how many physical and virtual clients you backup each night.

Are you using Veritas Backup Reporter (VBR), a separate product, with NetBackup?  You did not specify this.

There is a report in NetBackup Operations Manager (NOM), included with NBU for no additional charge, which lists all virtual servers (Hyper-V and VMware) and whether or not they have a backup policy.  You could probably combine this with another report on your physical servers.  I would assume that VBR could create a similar report.  This is available in NOM 6.5.4.   Finally, NOM 6.5.4 works with earlier version of NBU (see this matrix).

Here's a link where you can find release notes and manuals to help you further.

You'll find an example of this virtual machine report in the NBU 6.5.4 documentation update file here.

Because I don't use NOM on a regular basis I can't confirm if you could merge this report with a physical client report.  Because Backup Reporter offers more customization, I'm fairly certain it could be in VBR.

Peter

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
Hi Peter,

You are correct, in NBU the licenses for the Virtual hosts are organized as follows:

Amount of Hypervisers (Hosting servers) multiplied by the amount of OS they serve, for instance

5 Servers in an ESX farm serving Linux and Windows = 10 licenses used.

VBR does report the value of the client agents installed, plus the licenses for the ESX servers. The free report in NOM you speak of only works if you have setup a VCB proxy, which is disappointing.

After some investigation, we have decided to edit the attributes on each client (thankfully only a small amount) we can edit each 'Host Misc Info' attribute of the client and call it Virtual or Physical. Hopefully we should be able to perform some report to get us what we need with a little manual working out in a spreadsheet (which will eventually be automated).

Of course it would be nice to have the DB fields and tables documented to allow me to do a SQL statement to get a report instead...

Living in Hope

Trevor

Trevor_Jackson1
Level 4
Partner
Hi all,

I thought I would update you as to how we created a report on Physical vs Virtual servers.

I created two new Generic Objects within view builder, one called Virtual_Servers and another called Physical_Servers. Added the appropriate servers to the objects and then used VBR to create a pie chart of filtering at the corresponding view level, in our case level 2.

Thanks

Trevor

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Nameing convention of your servers.

I would have been able to do that easy as any vitural servers have a 'v' in there name as the third position - but that is becuase we started a naming convention that just by looking at the name I can tell you what location it is at, what hardware it is running on or if it is virtual, if it is an app or db server, what application or database is running on it and if it is production development or testing.