Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance required to understand the SFHA updates

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

SFHA version =  5.0

Windows =  2003 with SP2

SFHA patch = RP2 installed (before RP2 i have RP1a installed)

I surf the sort.symantec.com to know what is the latest update for SFHA5.0 and i found the below updates:

See the three snaps below of RP P and HF. RP release data is 28-05-2010, P releases two updates with 21st and 3rd of sixth month and finally the HF released at 11-10-2010. My question is that i have to install the P and HF to fully updated my product ?(RP2 is already installed)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The different ypes of patches are described by Symantec as:

Patch (P), point patch (PP), or hot fix (HF)

A fix for a specific package in one product release on a single platform.

Service pack (SP)

A collection of multiple individual patches, point patches, and hot fixes. A service pack applies to packages across the entire product on all platforms.

Rolling patch (RP)

A collection of multiple individual patches, point patches, and hot fixes. A rolling patch applies to packages across the entire product on a single platform.

Maintenance pack (MP)

A full product release that includes all previously released patches, point patches, hot fixes, and rolling patches. A maintenance pack may also contain support for new platform versions.

As MP, RP & SP contain multiple patches you should generally keep up to date with these.  It is my understanding that P, PP and HF are tested less than MP, RP & SP and so you should only apply these if the issue described by the patch could effect your configuration.  If the date of the P, PP and HF is before the date of the MP, RP & SP, then in theory it should be included, but if the dates are close I would check P, PP and HF desc to  see what versions it applies to.  The product column is a bit misleading as I notice above that for P-Patches it says VPI 5.1, but the patch name is 5.x (not 5.1) and looking at the patch on SORT it does indeed apply to 5.0.  The VPI 4.2 also applies to 4.2 and 4.3 (but not 5.x).

P-Patches are often quite major, as in the case with the VPI 5.1 above, so you should apply.  If you look at HF 13, then this is to fix a specific error so only apply if you need to.

Mike

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The different ypes of patches are described by Symantec as:

Patch (P), point patch (PP), or hot fix (HF)

A fix for a specific package in one product release on a single platform.

Service pack (SP)

A collection of multiple individual patches, point patches, and hot fixes. A service pack applies to packages across the entire product on all platforms.

Rolling patch (RP)

A collection of multiple individual patches, point patches, and hot fixes. A rolling patch applies to packages across the entire product on a single platform.

Maintenance pack (MP)

A full product release that includes all previously released patches, point patches, hot fixes, and rolling patches. A maintenance pack may also contain support for new platform versions.

As MP, RP & SP contain multiple patches you should generally keep up to date with these.  It is my understanding that P, PP and HF are tested less than MP, RP & SP and so you should only apply these if the issue described by the patch could effect your configuration.  If the date of the P, PP and HF is before the date of the MP, RP & SP, then in theory it should be included, but if the dates are close I would check P, PP and HF desc to  see what versions it applies to.  The product column is a bit misleading as I notice above that for P-Patches it says VPI 5.1, but the patch name is 5.x (not 5.1) and looking at the patch on SORT it does indeed apply to 5.0.  The VPI 4.2 also applies to 4.2 and 4.3 (but not 5.x).

P-Patches are often quite major, as in the case with the VPI 5.1 above, so you should apply.  If you look at HF 13, then this is to fix a specific error so only apply if you need to.

Mike

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

First thanks or your kind reply.

So thats mean in my scenerio the P patch and the HF are not included in the RP2 because the RP2 has an old date thn the P patch and HF. Right ?

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, but you check the patch info to confirm, which says it applies to 5.0RP2.

Mike