Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configurator checker fails on "Network Configuration Check"

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

I'am having a bit of a problem, when running the Veritas Configuration Checker I get a error when running SFW HA Pre-Install Check.

My enviroment:
4 HP CL 380 servers, installed with windows 2008 Standard.
Windows firewall enabled, with exception on:
Core Networking
File and Printer Sharing

I am able ping all severs and do NSLOOKUP on hostname and ip. Also added DNS subfix under advansed setting on IP v4.

Network Configuration Check fails with:

imagebrowser image

I can ping my DNS servers, and dns subfix adress.
I've tried to disable us of IP v6 and tried to disable windows firewall. And here I see something more strange.
When the firewall is enabled, validation only reports on the node im running the Configuration checker on.
When disabling the firewall Configuration Checker reports all 4 nodes?? But all failes with "Network Configuration Check" ( Same as in the pic's added ).
Can any one tell me exactly what needs to be opened in the firewall and what I need to check to resolve this error?

10 REPLIES 10

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
I forgott to mention

My public interface is a HP NIC team. As far as I can find this is supported but when looking into the log file from the configuration checker i get this:

Windows has detected that the system firmware (BIOS) was updated [previous firmware date = , current firmware date (null)].
Network Configuration Check Status: Failed Reason: Unable to check for availability of your Domain Name Server (DNS).

Could this be related to my NIC TEAM??

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
First sorry I reffered to wrong hardware.
It's HP BL460 blade Servers.

I've done som more testing, I've disabled my HP NIC team rebootet server and run the configurator again, same error. I also disabled IP v6 in registry, same error.

Note: firewall is stil disabled, need help on what port that must be opened for SHW HA to work.

Anyone??

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Forgot to set remote administraton, that fixed the problem not seeing all nodes runing the config checker, but stil the Network Configuration Checker fails..

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
I remember vaguely that the config checker does create a log file. If you do see one, maybe it might tell you a bit more why it's failing and where.

But If nslookup works and is pointing to the correct DNS server and is able to resolve names, then even if that config checker test fails for DNS, I expect everything to work without any issues in the real SFWHA environment.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
Thank's for the feedback.
I do think it should not be a problem, but you know realy want to know why it fails if possible.

Log says:
Windows has detected that the system firmware (BIOS) was updated [previous firmware date = , current firmware date (null)].
Network Configuration Check Status: Failed Reason: Unable to check for availability of your Domain Name Server (DNS).

Messages seems in my mind to be related to configuration checker not able to talk to my NIC's as it should.

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
check the DNS entry under advanced DNS options of TCP/IP properties of NIC card.
may be the entry of DNS in NIC card could be wrong

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
My DNS entries are correct, and have no problem resolving nslookup. So I think the problem is something else.
I have installed the software now and it whent thru succsesfully. So I am in the prosess of configuring the cluster and if everything works I'll have no choise but to document the error and leave it with that. 

Jay_Kim
Level 5
If this is the same environment as your recent post about using NIC teaming, maybe that was the reason for this checker failing at such point. (Although highly unlikely, just a guess)

Daniel_Schnack
Level 4
As long as you have confirmed that name resolution works correctly, and it appears that you have (PING and NSLOOKUP return the expected IP and FQDN), this will not stop the installation from proceeding.

The following technote has been recently published regarding this error:

Storage Foundation for Windows High Availability (SFW-HA) 5.1 Configuration Checker fails the Network Configuration Check with an error regarding the availability of DNS.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/328812.htm

Hope this helps!

Daniel

Daniel_Schnack
Level 4
I found that if you either click the browse button and select the host name from the list, or in The computer field, enter the name in the format of "ADDOMAIN\HOSTNAME", the network configuration check passes. For example, enter "LABDOM\NODE1", and then click add.

The technote http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/328812.htm has been updated with the format to use.