Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Takeover Process

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hello,

I have SF 5.1 with SP1 installed on windows server 2003.

My primary server goes down and I make my secondary as a primary with Takeover option with fast failsyn option enabled.

After that My original primary comes up and it is showing under seprate RVG as a primary. I tried to make as a secondary but failed to do it. As I am getting diffrent errors every time.
At this point of time migrate option is disabled because both servers are showing in diffrent RVG.

I need to know what is the correct process to do this job, as I want to make my orignal primary as a secondary then later I will use migrate option to switch the servers roles.

Do I need to stop the replication before making the secondary as a primary with takeover option?

Note: standalone servers, no cluster.

Regards,
Ryan
1 REPLY 1

Reid_Scheuneman
Level 3
Employee Accredited
Ryan-

Good morning did the takeover complete successfully? Is the application online on the DR site? If so is the VVRRVG group online on the primary site, including the IP addresses?. If so then did you perform a resync secondaries on the original primary site to start resyncing data from the DR back to the original site. Does that make sense?

**Note resyncing secondaries on the original primary site will overwrite the data there so please ensure the DR site and the application data a viable before completing that step.**

Here is the link to the guide on the matter:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/vascont/375.html
 - Veritas Storage Foundation™ Volume Replicator Administrator's Guide

Page 40 - 41 talks about the takeover.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Reid Scheunemann