cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VEA GUI Fails to Start 5.1 SP2

matthew_smith2
Level 3

Hi,

We recently upgraded one of our file server clusters up to SFHA 5.1 SP2 (from SP1) and after the install we had no problems starting the VEA GUI.

2 Weeks later when the SAN admin wanted to add more storage to that server they noticed that the VEA GUI no longer starts. We can see the VEA process start in the task manager but it disappears after a couple of seconds.

The server has been rebooted several times but still suffers from the same problem.

Any ideas?

matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rhanley
Level 4

Hi Matt,

I ran into this on a system today strangely enough. The vea -d command did not resolve it and I saw the same results.

I was able to resolve it by going into Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features in 2K8), selecting the change option on the Storage Foundation for Windows 5.1 (Client Components) and running a repair on this.

The repair will run through quickly since it's just the client component. After performing this (and even before rebooting), I was able to launch the VEA console.

I know that isn't the best solution, but it will at least get VEA up and running.

Cheers,

rjhanley

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rhanley
Level 4

Hi matthew_smith,

Can you try performing the following steps?:

1. Go to Start > Run

2. Type: vea -d

3. See if VEA successfully launches in debug mode. If yes, close VEA and open normally and see if it is now successful.

If it fails even in 'debug mode', please provide the output from the command window that is created when vea is launched with the -d switch.

Thank you,

rjhanley

rhanley
Level 4

Hi Matt,

I ran into this on a system today strangely enough. The vea -d command did not resolve it and I saw the same results.

I was able to resolve it by going into Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features in 2K8), selecting the change option on the Storage Foundation for Windows 5.1 (Client Components) and running a repair on this.

The repair will run through quickly since it's just the client component. After performing this (and even before rebooting), I was able to launch the VEA console.

I know that isn't the best solution, but it will at least get VEA up and running.

Cheers,

rjhanley