Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volumes showing up as disks in VEA

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Everyone,

I had recently configured a single node SFWHA cluster and am using internal disks for it. The system physcially has 5 disks (2 mirrored and 3 striped). The OS should only show to Physical disks accordingly. The first disk has 5 volumes which includes one system volume. The second disk contains 2 more volumes.

My configuration should only show 2 disks but it shows 6 physical disks (dynamic disks that have simple volumes over them) belonging to a clustered disk group while the system disk is still basic and is part of the basic disk group.

My question is, how is VEA showing partitioned volumes as simple disks (seperate physical disks)? and how is one basic volume and one simple disk (simple volume - part of dynamic disk) part of the same disk?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Everyone,

First of all apologies for the late response. There was a mistake in volume configuration on the customer side because they were confused with the volume layout that was decided initially. The server was re-built with the correct volume config and now the layout is fine. Thank you for the help!

WBR

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Same disks under device manager are showing up as 'HP logical volume scsi disk device'.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am not quite sure what you have as you seem to be mixing terminologys:

Physical disks can be presented to the O/S as disks or placed under a hardware RAID manager and placed into RAID sets which are then carved up as LUNs.  The O/S with or without SFW sees disks and LUNS as the same - as disks.  With SFW you cannot use a disk directly, you have to create a volume on the disk(s) first and a single volume can be on multiple disks (example mirrors and stripes), unlike a partition which can only be on one disk.  So your drive letters are partitions or volumes.

So from your first statement "The system physcially has 5 disks (2 mirrored and 3 striped)", I think you mean:

You have 5 disks and there are presented as LUNS by a Hardware Manager to the O/S as:

• LUN1: A mirror consisting of 2 disks - this is probably C: drive so shows a volume (actually a partition) in a basic diskgroup and possible more volumes (maybe 5 from you next sentance) if there are more partitions on the first disk
  • LUN2: A stripe consisting of 3 disks - this is in a dynamic diskgroup which may contain more volumes (maybe 2 volumes from your next sentance)

But then what you say later doesn't tally up with this and I read this as you have:

• 1 disk in basic diskgroup containing 1 volume - the C:drive
  • 5 disks in a dynamnic diskgroup that have further volumes on them

If you provide me output of "vxprint" from the command line prompt, I can tell you what you have.

Mike

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Mike,

Can you post screenshots of you disks configuration in VEA so that we can better understand what you are seeing?

Thanks,

Wally

shahfar
Level 5
Accredited Certified

Hi Everyone,

First of all apologies for the late response. There was a mistake in volume configuration on the customer side because they were confused with the volume layout that was decided initially. The server was re-built with the correct volume config and now the layout is fine. Thank you for the help!

WBR