cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

veritas storage foundation basic 32 bit required

ashok_ericsson
Not applicable

HI all,

I am doing experiments with windows server 2003 EE 32 bit. I want to use the veritas storage foundation basic with 32 bit windows. Can anybody please let me know if 32 bit version of sfw basic is available?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Symantec only makes the latest version of SFW-Basic available for download.  The current version of SFW-Basic is 6.0 and it does not support Windows 2003 at all.

While Mike is correct that the 5.1 SP1 and SP2 versions of SFW-Basic do support Windows 2003 32 and 64 bit OS, that version of SFW-Basic is not available from Symantec anymore.

-Wally

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can run SFW 5.1SP2 on W2003 SP2 32 bit.  The SFW 5.1 release notes make this clear saying:

Your server must run one of the following operating systems:
■ Windows Server 2003 (32-bit): Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or
   Datacenter Edition (SP2 required for all editions)
■ Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-bit): Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or
5.1SP1 and SP2 are not so clear as they do not implicitly mention 32bit, and instead says x86 which means the same:
Windows Server 2003 x86: Web Edition (SP2 required)
■ Windows Server 2003 x86, x64, IA64: Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition,
■ Windows Server 2003 R2 x86, x64: Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition,
SFW basic should have the same O/S requirement as the full version and SFW basic is just limited by things like number of cores and now many LUNs you can use.

I don't believe SFW 6.0 supports 32 bit, so you will have to get hold of a 5.1SP2 version of SFW Basic

Mike

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The SFW Baic web page (http://www.symantec.com/products/sysreq.jsp?pcid=pcat_storage&pvid=1562_1) gives a link to the product matrix which is a generic link for SFW (full) and SFW basic - https://sort.symantec.com/productmatrix and this confirms that SFW 5.1 (including SP1 and SP2) support 32 bit and 6.0 does not.

Mike

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Symantec only makes the latest version of SFW-Basic available for download.  The current version of SFW-Basic is 6.0 and it does not support Windows 2003 at all.

While Mike is correct that the 5.1 SP1 and SP2 versions of SFW-Basic do support Windows 2003 32 and 64 bit OS, that version of SFW-Basic is not available from Symantec anymore.

-Wally