cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Management / Reporting

Christof_Sobek
Level 3
I would like to analyse the file service data and get the informations what kind of data i have, how old it is, last access time, and so on....

Is it possible to generate a report in storage exec contains the information about the last user access time???? By this way i would like to get an overview which data has not been accessed in the past x Months or Years.

I'm currently thinking that it is possible, but i have the following problem with this "last access" attribut, when i perform a daily backup, this "last access" attribut will be updated after every backup also when i move data from one server to the second.

Is there another way or attribut could be used?
What is the general storage exec solution for analysing file service?

Thanks for your reply!

Best Regards,
christof
2 REPLIES 2

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
There is alreport that comes with SE ARO option "Files Not Accessed in Over One Year" that will suit your needs. This report will list all the files that have not been used in 365 days... you can modify the report query in the report to whatever you want for example from 'AccessedDays > 365' to 'AccessedDays > 30' so you would get all the files that have not been used in a month.

I am not a backup person so I am not very knowlegable about the backup stuff, but I thought that when a file is backed up its last accessed date is usually set back to the date & time it was before the backup was performed. I think at least Backup exec does that.

If "Last access" is going to be modified by you backup you can probably substitue "Modifieddays" in the query. This will list files according to when they were last modified.

I am guessing that with "file service" you mean "File System". Everyone uses it differently. Mostly I use custom reports that list the file according to the business needs. One of the reports for example scans the server for Non-Business media files being saved on the server by users (File ownership is also displayed for each file in the report). This information is handed to security/HR for compliance issues etc.

Another thing that I am thinking about doing is to get trending information on all the space allocation objects on the server and then run the trending report on them.

Hope this of some help to you.

_Shazam

Christof_Sobek
Level 3
Thanks for your reply!
I test it myself with the evaluation version.

Best Regards,
christof