cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Console for StorageExec 5.5

Scott_Fares
Level 2
When Veritas had StorageCentral there was a way to install the console on a destkop to manage the resources for quota's. I am trying to find a way to have the same thing happen with Symantec's StorageExec 5.5 software. I do not want some users in my environment accessing the server at all to manage the resources especially if they are not net admins so this would be the resolution to making people responsible for their project folders that we are managing quotas on. Is this at all possible or did that end the moment that this software was purchased by Symantec?

Thanks,

Scott
5 REPLIES 5

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
Hi Scott:

I know what you're talking about I think that functionality was present in StorageCentral 5.2 where if the user would right click on a folder, StorageCentral Tab was present in the properties and depending on the security previlage of the user he could manage his quotas.

I think the support for this functionality was dropped (or probably provided on a customer request) in Storage Exec 5.3. There was talk of providing the same functionality in 5.5 ... but since I haven't tried out 5.5 I don't really know.

Sorry couldn't be of more help to you except to confirm that such functionality did exist :)

_Shazam

Eric_Krengel
Level 3
Yes you can install a remote management console for 5.5 . It gives you the option when you run the install.

Scott_Fares
Level 2
So basically we are not even sure if this will even take effect. I am really saddened because we only upgraded so that we would have the support for the software but I guess we should have stayed with the older version since the new version does not work.

Very disappointed.

Scott

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
I don't know if you know this Scott.... but this forum is basically supported by the "Users" of StorageCentral/StorageExec.... No one from actual Symantec support even answers questions here...(been a while since I've seen anyone reply from symantec).

So since you now have support ... why don't you shoot them an email and find out if this functionality is supported or not (and get your money back if not supported) and please be sure to post what you find out ... to help some other users looking for this functionality.

Peace :)

matheesha_weera
Level 3
Can you please provide details of what you are trying to accomplish? Are you using Enterprise Admin option? Are all the administrators in your company "domain admins"? I assume you have installed the console successfully. Have you got users in scread/scwrite groups?