cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the purpose of 'Auto Detect subfolders' when creating space policy?

Shahid_Gul
Level 4
Hi,
Hope someone can explain this for points.

When creating a space allocation policy, in the 'Folder Policy Selection' window there are two options.
1- 'Apply policy to resource'
2- 'Auto detect subfolders and apply policies as they are created within a managed resource'

Doesn't the 1st option 'Apply policy to resource' mean apply policy to this folder or volume so that whenever data is added to it the space allocation policy is applied accordingly.

So what is the purpose of the 2nd option of 'Auto detect subfolders...' ?
Doesn't it do this by default with the first option ?
If I don't select the second option, does that mean that a sub-folder in a managed resource can have no quota applied even though the top level folder has quote applied to is ?

I'm confused.
Appreciate any help.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
Hi Shahid:

I think the second option pertains to the fact that if a folder is created under a managed resource, it is automatically detected and Space Allocation policy is applied to it.

Possible usage is for a /users folder and when a new user folder is created under there, a managed resource for it automatically created without Administrator having to manually create the resource.

_Shazam

Shahid_Gul
Level 4
Thanks for the reply.

So the second option of 'Auto detect subfolders' creates a new managed resourse for that folder in the console.
Could end up with a few hundred managed resources this is a student storage server. Would that be ideal ?

Or should I leave the first option check so that it takes case of the whole /users folder as a single managed resource ?

You've almost got the points. :)
Thanks

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> So the second option of 'Auto detect subfolders'
> creates a new managed resourse for that folder in the
> console.
> Could end up with a few hundred managed resources
> this is a student storage server. Would that be ideal
> ?
Well that is entirely dependent on the Storage Management policy you're going for... sure you would end up with hundreds of Managed Resources but with these you get granular level Alarm Actions (meaning each user would have his own usage related Alarm Emails, reports etc.)

> Or should I leave the first option check so that it
> takes case of the whole /users folder as a single
> managed resource ?

Sure you can do that, however doing that each user would use the whole folder Storage limit.
>
> You've almost got the points. :)
> Thanks

Np... hope this helps you. :).. I did a similar implementation in 5.3 where I created a Managed Resource on the whole partition ( that way I will get the regular emails when a storage threshold is reached and a usage report). I also created a Auto Detect Folder managed resource on /users.. The partition limit was 320 GB. and each user folder had 150MB storage.

Khue
Level 4
Mohammed, that policy that you implemented with 320 gigs with a 150 mb subfolder policy sounds like what i am attempting to do. Can you describe a little bit how you accomplished setting this up?