cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

folder auto detect not allocating policy to new sub-folders

Laurie_Loudon
Level 2
I have setup a resource policy aimed at the root share of our users home drive and then set a sub folder auto detect policy for 100Mb so that all new user home folders get a quota set on creation.
When looking in the console any new sub folders created are not being detected and policies being applied, so i am having to go throught the wizard and manually add the policy to the newly created folders.
I have checked the settings used to setup this resource and auto sub-folder detect and all is correct.
No subfolders have been auto detected since the initial setup this resource where it found them all.
It only takes one folder to be missed for a new user to dump a DVDs worth of data on it thats why the auto detect needs to work.

Storage Exec 5.3 at Hotfix 19

Any ideas why the auto detects not working.

thanks in advance

Laurie
5 REPLIES 5

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
hi laurie:

could you tell me where exactly are you creating the auto detect folder object ?

for example if you've created it on e:\.... all the folders are going to auto-detected under there for exampel e:\user1.... e:\userxyz etc.... however if you create a folder under e:\user1\2ndlevel... that folder is not going to be detected....

so I suggest that you create the auto-detect folder resource object on the folder under which all the user folders are created.

for example: --- e:\users << create autodetect folder resource here
--user1
--user2
--user%n

_Shazam

Laurie_Loudon
Level 2
hi Mohammed
On the Resources screen I selected the folder E:\users.
On the Folder policy Selection screen
the setup is e:\users is my resource which I set a quota of 45Gb
then below I set the subfolder auto folder setting to a quota of 100Mb

when I create accounts I use user manager and path the user folder to \\server\users$\%username%.
This then creates the folder for me with inherited permissions of local administrators group having full to folder.
So to me the service should have permissions to see the folders when created.
Is there a interval when it checks for new folders or is this part of the poling time of 15mins?

The service account for the Exec is in the local administrators group on the server.
I have tried a creating the users home folder manually but the inherited permission will be the same, so no advantage there.

I will have to create an empty second users resource root and test folders there to see if I can get around this.

any other ideas gratefully received

Laurie

Mohammad_Ansari
Level 4
Hi Laurie:

you're correct is assuming that there is a refresh period involved with the UI... By default this period is 15 minutes.... but can be change by right clicking on the managed resource grid and selecting the appropriate option. Also you can do a manual refresh of the UI by clicking on the grid and pressing F5..

Question... Are you sure that you've placed the quota on the correct folder object... the reason that I asked is what you're mentioning in the steps , should've worked. also am I correct in assuming that e:\users is shared as \\server\users ?

_Shazam

Laurie_Loudon
Level 2
Mohammed
re telling story:-
I already had approx 370 users home folders in the folder E:\users (shared as users$)

S exec was installed after and th on the wizard
step 1 I selected the resource as E:\users

step 2 'Folder Policy Selection' I selected the folder policy as 45.5Gb from the dropdown against the overall size of the resource and then!
On the subfolder policy I ticked the autodetect and selected a 100Mb policy, then next, next, finish.
The policy against the resource applies OK.
All the folders in the Users folder at the time of being appied were detected and applied.
Folders created after were not found and policies applied against them.
I have tried creating a 'new' users root folder called Qusers with no user folders in.
Then added the policies as above in step 1 and 2 to the new resource.
I created a few test users with there home folders created in the Qusers root and checked S exec low and behold they appeared.

Obervations:-
In the new test I have row in S exec with the autodetect icon type autodetect folders.
In my old settings there is no row of this nature even though I created the managed resources the same way the only difference being the first was applied to a users folder populated with over 300 folders, the new 'test' one being empty when the policies were applied?
Something with it being applied over a populated users folder???
I am wondering can I apply the autodetect to the E:\users folder resource again even though I know I have applied it once before as I dont want all the folders being re- detected and doubling up.

think we are getting close to a work around here, will keep testing.

Laurie

Laurie_Loudon
Level 2
after further tests on our 2 files servers.
It appears as if when you select both options in the folder policy selection, overall resource size and autotdetect subfolders and finish.
The autodetect finds all the subfolders in the first sweep but doesnt appear as a policy in the managed resources screen to say still active for new subfolder detection.

But if I add each policy seperately, first the resource size one then the autodetect sub folders.
It finds all the user home folder already there and appears as a policy for future autodetect in the managed resources screen.

This has worked twice so far so this is the way I will do it in the future.
Dont know if other user have had the same issue but mine is now sorted as in I have the the autodetect working.

so no more additions from me here.

Thanks for the help Mahammed maybe you help in the future as Im sure there will be other issues.

Laurie