cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xassist move question

ntruby
Not applicable
We want to use vxassist move to move several hundred volumes from one set of disks to another.  We've done this previously using vxassist mirror, then removing the original mirror.   Because of the quantity this time it's too fiddly to script, so I'd like to use vxassist move, which has worked fine in test.

My question is, does anyone know how the 'move' works "under the covers": does it, as I assume, simply do an implicit mirror and drop?  If so I can be confident that any resultant access slowdown when it is in progres will be no worse than with 'mirror', which we already know to be acceptable.

Thanks
N
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Sorry was unable to find the duplicate post..

vxassist move has a requirement for some free space to be available in the diskgroup, this is because vxassist command would be creating some temporary plexes on the free space of diskgroup & use that temporary space to keep date & move it permanently...

Once you run the move command, you should see some temporary plexes being created in "vxprint -qhtg <diskgroup>" command...

So regarding your query, I believe the resultant slowdown will not be worse than mirror.....

Hope this helps

Gaurav

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Hello,

I think I answered this query on some other section of forums, probably this is duplicate...

please check duplicate thread for response...

Gaurav

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified
Sorry was unable to find the duplicate post..

vxassist move has a requirement for some free space to be available in the diskgroup, this is because vxassist command would be creating some temporary plexes on the free space of diskgroup & use that temporary space to keep date & move it permanently...

Once you run the move command, you should see some temporary plexes being created in "vxprint -qhtg <diskgroup>" command...

So regarding your query, I believe the resultant slowdown will not be worse than mirror.....

Hope this helps

Gaurav