cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 - Baremetal Restore (Disimilar Hardware)

Digerati
Level 4
Hi All,

BESR 2010, Windows 2008 SP1 X64, Exchange 2007SP1
6 Physical Disks, RAID-1 x 2Physical Disk each, 3 Volumes Presented to Windows, C: , D: , E: ,

Installed BESR2010 and successfully took the whole backup on a External USB Drive

The Test Box is not a proper server but a new Core2QUAD box which has been used for successful restores in the past.

Now, when I did the restore on the test box, it restored fine and it boots But after initial it shows "Please wait while windows sets up your computer"

It will stay on the screen for a while and then it looks as if its loading windows as it changes from black screen to like the setup screen then a message appears  "Please wait while windows continues setting up your computer"

It will then stay on the above screen / message for a quite a while, then a message appears windows was unable to setup, please restart windows to re-install.

---

Now, I had another BESR Image of another machine (Just plain windows 2008 server with no roles) ; when I restored this one on the same machine, after the above messages, excluding the restarting message , it gets me to the login screen and after logging in it does SYSPREP.

May be thats why the server image is failing as it has exchange on it and it won't just sysprep or have errrors. How can I backup and in restore anywhere not to include sysprep.

Kind regards

3 REPLIES 3

AJT
Level 6
Restore with Restore Anyware, hold down the ctrl key while selecting Restore Anyware. Un-check Invoke Mini Setup.

Hope this helps :)

Digerati
Level 4
Hi AJT

I will apply your suggestion on my next test for the system (in a couple of days or probably tomorrow).

Just to be clear, you meant :

When I boot off with SRD with my Ext-USB Connected, and select what and from where to recover, holding the CTRL Key I should click on "Restore anywhere" and uncheck invoke mini setup.

Thanks for your input.

PS : Also, How Do i remove drives from BESR 2010 so it doesn't looks for them, basically I first backed up (as a test) on to a 500GB External USB Disk, once that was completed, I then used our RDX1000 (320GB Cartridges), ofcourse the space was all consumed, so I thought to limit 1 recovery point for each backup and delete the old one setting, but when it got to the next day and the job ran, it was looking for the old drive and thus failed. I hope I have explained it clear. Basically I want it to delete the last night's backup before backing up the latest onto the rdx so it has space or the job will fail as the backup job is around 250GB and the disk is 320GB.

ioniancat21
Level 5
Once you've restored your image and BESR reboots and begins the mini-setup to detect new hardware, make sure you've disconnected the USB drive from the computer as I've had many a computer hang due to the mini-setup having issues trying to detect the USB Hard drive.