cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 2010 installation and package issues?

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

I use the Symantec Mgmt Console/Altiris to deploy my BESR 2010 to the clients in my network. Recently I installed 2 instance of BESR 2010 via the Altiris Agent and when it completed, the program had installed, but with minimum features. I couldn't open the user interface or check on recovery points. I went into Add/Remove programs, selected BESR 2010 and hit Change. This is what I saw:

So I had to copy the installation files and install all those missing components. Now in my other BESR 2010 deployments this never happened and I don't recall making any changes at all. When I check in the "Packages and Policies" tab in the BESR 2010 Management Solution, I don't see anything that would do this. I did look at the "Update Packages" and checked the command line entry for executing the package. It reads:

Without user interface
.\install\setup.exe /S /L1046 /V" REBOOT=Force /qn AddLocal=Agent,Shared,BESRSecurityShortCut Remove=Console,BESRConsoleShortCut,Push,Browser,BESRBrowserShortCut,Gear /l*v "%temp%\besr_9_0_woui_install.log""

With user interface
.\install\setup.exe /S /L1046 /V"SILENTMANAGED=1 REBOOT=Force /qn AddLocal=Shared,Console,BESRConsoleShortCut,Push,Agent,BESRSecurityShortCut,Gear,Browser,BESRBrowserShortCut /l*v "%temp%\besr_9_0_wui_install.log""

Note, this problem is happenign with the "without user interface" package. I included the "with user interface" command line for comparison. I cannot tell if something in those command lines are making it install the way it is.

ALSO, I noticed that in all my installation packages policies, it defaults to Brazilian Portugese for some reason. When the program installs though, it seems to be in English. See here:

I don't think that has anything to do with the minimal installation, but it's also something I had a question on. I change it to English and save it, but it just goes back to that every time.  Any help on both of these would be great. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

Ok, I just spoke with a Symantec tech support person and they said that the "Brazlian Portugese" is a display issue on my system and that they've seen it before. The actual package is installing in English so really it's a minor issue at this point.

Also, they pointed out to me what was wrong with my first question. I had selected "Install without user interface", thinking that it was talking about the setup process not having a user interface. I didn't want my users to have to answer prompts, etc during the setup. What I didn't realize was that "without user interface" was talking about the BESR 2010 client itself. I feel dumb, but at least I figured out what the "problem " was. LOL. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

In case you change the settings, you have also to update the package on the package servers.

Jon_Sumida
Level 5
This is what I do. I change it from Brazilian Portugese to English. I then click on "Save Changes" at the bottom and then "Update Distribution Points".  Is there something I am missing?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Maybe you should try and create a new programm using your settings in the update package section and then use this package in the Install Polices section ? I use this to install custom files for the Command Files.

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

How would I go about creating a new program? Maybe I'm confused on how this works. When I go to the Package and Policies screen, then into Upgrade Packages, this is what I see:

So if I make changes in here and click on the "Save Changes", does that create a new package and overwrite the old one?

If this is the case, then I need to figure out what that command line text should be because the one I have in there is causing it to install with minimum features.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It actually modifies the package, so that you can choose which of the two programms you'd like to run.

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

I'm confused....how can you tell it modified the package? When I go to:

C:\Program Files\Altiris\Backup Exec System Rec Managment Soluton\web\softwaredelievery\besr\9.0

I just see the "Install" folder with all the setup files in them. The date modified value never changes so it doesn't appear these files get changed.

You say that you can choose which of the 2 programs you'd like to run, what exactly do you mean?

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

Ok, I just spoke with a Symantec tech support person and they said that the "Brazlian Portugese" is a display issue on my system and that they've seen it before. The actual package is installing in English so really it's a minor issue at this point.

Also, they pointed out to me what was wrong with my first question. I had selected "Install without user interface", thinking that it was talking about the setup process not having a user interface. I didn't want my users to have to answer prompts, etc during the setup. What I didn't realize was that "without user interface" was talking about the BESR 2010 client itself. I feel dumb, but at least I figured out what the "problem " was. LOL. 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So everything all right with you up to now or are there any open questions ?

Jon_Sumida
Level 5

no, I'm all good for now. thanks.