cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 7 fails to create recovery point.

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
I have installed BESR7 over a working BESR 6.5 W2003 32 bit server. BESR6.5 worked great, BESR7 sits at 5% Creating recovery point. It creates a servername_C_Drive001.v2i file of 0KB and thats it. No further progress. If I removed 7.0 and reinstall 6.5 I can create images as normal. Help

13 REPLIES 13

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Where is the recovery point being stored?  Is it to a local drive or to a network location?

Does BESR 7.0 show an estimated time to complete the operation?

You could try setting the following SYSTEM environment variable (it's important that it be a system variable) and then rebooting the system:

Variable name:  V2i_BUFFERED
Variable value:  defined

This variable can sometimes improve BESR 7.0 performance when storing to a network location.

Thanks.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   
Are there more undocumented options like this ?

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
Thanks for your reply.

I have tried storing the image on a local hard drive and a network location that stores images for my other 6 servers.

It never mentions estimated time, just sits at "calculating remaining time"

I will try the system variable and let you know.

Thanks

Igoboc
Level 2
Hi,
I have de same problem with BESR7 on 2 W2003 x64 SP2 servers, backup on network filer.
I backup 2 discs (C and D) on some time, D contens SQLserver 2005 data.
I tried the system variable (without reboot) and still have same problem. I tried backup on local drive but nothing.
I tried backup only C discs but nothing...Smiley Sad
Do you tried on your servers ?
Does someone had a solution for this problem ?

Thanks
Smiley Happy

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

Because the variable is a system variable, a reboot is required for it to take affect.

Thanks.

MathewJ
Level 3
I am having a similar problem except with mine it doesn't create any files, it will create the folder but nothing more, the system hangs at 5%. I attempted to use that system variable but that didn't resolve the issue either. And the recovery point is over a network, the box is a standard Windows XP SP2 machine, my other clients work fine.

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
As I said in my original post, I had the same problem. A working Server with LSR 6 then BESR6.5 both OK but with BESR7 it failed. In the end I went into the advanced properties of the backup job and ticked "Ignore bad sectors during copy" and now my job works well.

I have been able to restore individual files OK and restored the complete server as a test, so am not sure why it believed I had bad sectors.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Stephen

Danny_ter_Horst
Level 4
Thanks Stephen March,

You did the trick. I had the same problem on a laptop and I was already collecting all the information to make a case at Symantec. This morning I read your email and as a last try I enabled the options "Ignore bad sectors during copy". This works great.

Big thank to you and hopefully this works with others as well.

DKW2000
Level 3
Partner
Please pardon my ignorance, but can you expand on the value "defined":

Does this mean use the word "defined" or should I enter some alpha-numeric value? If the latter, what range?

I, too, have been plagued with BESR jobs that fail to start (on a number of platforms & with BESR 6.x and BESR7). Most 6.x failures have been cured by updating to V7, but I have one very persistant BESR install that is causing me grief (that used to work perfectly). It is on Windows 2003 SP1 running ISA 2004 SP2 and WebMarshal 2006. There are NO errors in the Windows event logs. Nothing at all. It simply doesn't run scheduled jobs. The images are going to a local disk... Maybe there's another log I can look at for clues?

Interestingly, any scheduled jobs that were missed start up "normally" the instant I connect to the BESR agent via a remote BESR console (or simply by RDP-ing onto the pesky server). Bizzarre.

I've changed the "ignore bad..." advanced job option this morning (as mentioned in this thread) so I'll wait & see how that goes.

Thanks.

Message Edited by DKW2000 on 06-27-200704:03 PM

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

By "defined" above, I mean the word or string "defined" itself, not an alpha-numeric value.  So in the space provided for "variable value", type the word "defined" (without the quotes).

Thanks.

Igoboc
Level 2
Thanks Stephen for your finding,

I ticked "Ignore bad sectors during copy" in advanced properties in backup job and now it works well. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Smiley Wink

DKW2000
Level 3
Partner
Following up from having set the "Ignore bad sectors..." advanced job setting; My troublesome server ran an automated job last night for the first time in ages. Many thanks (and thanks for expanding on the "defined" variable thing, Bill).

tmartin
Not applicable
Partner
Interesting...when I uncheck 'skip bad sectors', even though the backup (supposedly) is verified as clean/ok/no issues, I am unable to restore the image to new hw.