cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 7.x Restore Anyware and SBS 2003

David_S
Level 2
I'm hoping to find a straight answer to a question that many potential BESR users may find extremely important.  I have seen conflicting documentation on this issue and even the nature of the BESR version specifically designed for SBS 2003 seems to contradict itself from what I've read.

Does BESR's Restore Anyware feature allow a SBS installation, including all features and functions (Exchange and AD especially) to be restored to different hardware?

2 REPLIES 2

Martin_C
Level 4
Employee
Yes, BESR 7.x is capable of backing up and restoring SBS 2000 and 2003 to dissimilar hardware using Restore Anyware feature.

Please refer to Sym TechNote -> http://support.veritas.com/docs/292978.

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
David,

It is advised to make sure the System State is backed up to the root of C: prior to BESR creating the Baseline Backup of the entire machine.  This should be done at least when a Baseline Image is created, but not necessarily when Incrementals are created.  If System State is done weekly, it is unlikely to experience tombstone issues.
With Windows 2000 SBS (or AD machines) it is required that the System State backup be completed in the steps of the backup.  If Recovery is necessary, it may not ask for the System State file.  However, It is much better to have and not need, rather than need and not have.

Cheers,
Rich L