cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.0 and freezing on backup of server

bjhowd
Level 3

I have BESR 7.0 and 8.0 on several servers and one particular server gets to about 15% backup of C partition and then hangs. I can't even RDP to it. I have to reboot the server at that point. I tried running chkdsk on c and it had no real errors to fix. Whacked the paging file and recreated it again. I also defrag the C partition as well. This server has version 8.0 on it and when I run it manually it will do the same. It will back up around 1/2 gig or so and then the system freezes. I had a problem also backing this server up with BE 11.0d as well. It got hung up on the CPQ directory - I think it was the Insight Mgr directories which I did exclude and still had problems trying to back it up. Not sure what to do next. Server is a secondary DC and is just used for IAS at this point. Anybody have any other suggestions. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

How much free space do you have on the Hard Drive(s) that you are backing up (not the one you're backing up to)?

Are you getting any errors logged in the event viewer that could be related? 

bjhowd
Level 3

have approximately 7.5 GB free space  on drive C which is the OS partition and  55GB on Drive E which is a data drive. I don't see anything of substance in Event viewer that related to BESR. In fact the logs for BESR only show when the service started and stopped. No error messages there either. Not much to go on for troubleshooting. The best I can say is about 20% into the backup for C, BESR will stop responding and you have to power down the system. The server becomes totally unresponsive at that point. It appears the hangup is on the C drive. I can watch the backup alternate from drive E to C and when it gets to about 20%, bingo it hangs.

aychekay
Level 5
Partner
Try running Hard Drive test(s) on your hard drives. I'd recommend using UBCD and HDTune.

bjhowd
Level 3
Thanks, I will give that a try.

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

I asked about your event log already but just make sure there aren't any errors in the event log that might be related even though they don't reference BESR. I'm thinking specifically of disk errors or something like that.

You might also consider running a chkdsk during one of your shutdown/bootups just to make sure it's not a file system problem.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Do you get the same error messages when backing up to a local drive?

bjhowd
Level 3
Yes it happens with a local drive as well. We are in the process of removing this server from out active production environment so BESR is going to get uninstalled on this box and the server is going to be wiped and refurbed with some new hardware. No need to pursue this issue at this point. Thanks for your post.